Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-09-2011, 11:55 AM   #1

Share |

Shop wiring plan

Need some opinions on shop re-wiring...

The current.jpg attachment shows the current wiring in my laundry room and workshop (the red and blue circuits are original construction, the sub panel and green circuit are additions since I bought the house).

The proposed.jpg attachment shows what I am considering. I want to take the duplex receptacle in the laundry room and put it on a dedicated circuit for a chest freezer. The single duplex receptacle in the workshop will be replaced with a GFCI and I want to add some receptacles along each wall for power tools.

My question is this: the workshop is not on the house HVAC, so I have a 120V 6500 BTU window AC which draws 6.2A. In the winter, the AC comes out of the window and I heat with a 1500W/120V heater. Neither of the climate units are constantly used (only when I'm actually in the shop). I'm wondering if I should use an MWBC to dedicate one leg of the new orange circuit for the climate control units, or if I'll be OK using a single circuit? Either way, I need to pull new wire so there's not much difference between pulling a run of 12/2 or 12/3.

I'm thinking that if I use a dedicated circuit, I'll use a single (not duplex) 20A receptacle to prevent multiple loads on that circuit, although I haven't found a single (non-duplex) GFCI receptacle (a double-pole GFCI breaker seems like an expensive solution when compared to the cost of GFCI receptacles). If I use a single circuit, I'll just use one GFCI duplex and connect the downstream receptacles to the load side.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Shop wiring plan-current.jpg   Shop wiring plan-proposed.jpg  

clashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:44 PM   #2
Scared Electrician

Shop wiring plan

I'm assuming that this is an attached shop.

I see no problem putting the fridge on its own circuit. It would be easier (to troubleshoot later)from main panel

I question why the recp in garage is feed from laundry light.

I see no problem extending the circuit along the bottom of your diagram, nor the addition of a circuit along the top.

Please follow the code - its there for your safety no matter how inconvenient.

Last edited by Saturday Cowboy; 01-09-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Saturday Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:05 PM   #3

Shop wiring plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturday Cowboy View Post
I'm assuming that this is an attached shop.
Yes, this is attached to the house.

Quote:
I see no problem putting the fridge on its own circuit. It would be easier (to troubleshoot later)from main panel
Normally, I would agree, but the main panel is full, so the sub panel exists for expansion. The attic is low slope and it's very difficult to pull wires to the main panel, but the sub is easily accessible from the attic.

Quote:
I question why the recp in garage is feed from laundry light.
That's on the ceiling of the shop for the garage door opener... I inherited that setup when I bought the house. I suppose I could move that receptacle to one of the shop circuits. It certainly doesn't seem The other half of this circuit (not shown here) feeds a couple of light fixtures in the kitchen, a couple of porch lights and three kitchen receptacles and an outdoor GFCI. This is not of my two SABC circuits.

What are your thoughts on a single 20A circuit for the top of the diagram versus a MWBC to create a dedicated circuit for the AC/heater units? Do you think that would be necessary, or am I just over-thinking things?
clashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:54 PM   #4
Scared Electrician

Shop wiring plan

well the ceiling plug would only be hot when the laundry light is on.

as for a MWBC well you need to figure out what your load will be.

Please follow the code - its there for your safety no matter how inconvenient.
Saturday Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote