Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-16-2011, 09:01 AM   #1

Share |

shop power?

if i have 100amps, how many amps can be safely devoted to the garage? i'm hoping for atleast 240v@30amp for ts and dust collection.

cowboy dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:46 AM   #2

shop power?

Question can't be answered without more information. Do you have gas or electric heat? Gas or electric hot water? Gas or electric appliances? Gas cuts down significantly on the load. You'd need to do a load calc to figure out how much additional load your panel can handle.

iminaquagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:27 PM   #3

shop power?

in the house, the furnace ia ac power but it's brand new 70,000btu 95%, the dryer (efficient), and stove are 240 volt. not sure about the dishwasher. i would like to run my shop with a smidge more than 15 amps. i have tech cable for the sub panel to the main panel. and atleast 8 fuse capability. i need to operate my table saw and dust collector at the same time. and well, i have 7 4' light pots each have 4 tubes. my ts when wired for 240 draws 6 amps, i don't have the dust collector...yet, it's on its way very soon. i tried to solve this issue last year but i went on wcb instead. this year, the plan is to solve this. all i'm missing is plugs and pots. i have to kill the existing wire because it's all wrong. i would like to know how many breakers i can have with max 30 amps. i'm sure my electrician will know what to do, but i don't want to buy more than i need or can use. but i would like to have everthing readfor when he shows up.
cowboy dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:38 PM   #4

shop power?

The number of breakers is of no consiquence, brakers don't draw current. With a 30 amp supply you want to keep the load to less than about 24amps constant. Unless you have a fully electric home chances are you are drawing on average less than 50 amps. So if you don't have the range, hotwater heater,dryer all on at the same time you shouldn't have a problem.
hayewe farm is offline   Reply With Quote