Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2008, 11:02 AM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,508
Rewards Points: 2,004
Default

Shocks in House


Okay, I am going to suggest something out of the ordinary. Do any of your local TV stations have a consumer problem department. Like here it's called "On Your Side" People in the veiwing area have the ability to email or call this dept and explain the situation. In many cases the TV station can correct public and private issues. Your situation is rare and I am certain if you talked to the right people you could get this publicized on TV. This would call attention to your problem and if you have this kind of public service, I would bet this issue will be corrected or at least identified.
This is serious and possibly a health hazard. Think outside the box. Best of luck.....John Valdes

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:02 AM   #17
Master Electrician
 
JohnJ0906's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 332
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Shocks in House


Quote:
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
Get an EMF detector and see if all of your wiring for your solar system is generating too high a field force.
I would definitely take this advice.

It could also be the house wiring that is generating a magnetic field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixonj63
We had the city inspector come out to check the lines and grounding lines to see if they could discover anything. They found nothing, but one inspector said that he felt a headache start just after being in the house for 10 minutes.
And it affects more then just you and your wife.
__________________
John from Baltimore
One Day at a Time
"Experience is what you get when you were expecting something else"
"The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten"
JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 07:50 AM   #18
Master Electrician
 
JohnJ0906's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 332
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Shocks in House


Any update?
__________________
John from Baltimore
One Day at a Time
"Experience is what you get when you were expecting something else"
"The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten"
JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:16 AM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW of D.C.
Posts: 5,990
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Shocks in House


Quote:
Originally Posted by nixonj63 View Post
Wirenut1110,

Thanks for the offer of stopping by. We live in Falls Church, just outside of DC so that is pretty far to travel. WE have a few local people looking into this for us and hopefully they will press Dominion to come out quickly and check things out.

I will keep everyone informed of the results and resolution of this situation.

thanks.
I'm 20 km NW of the White House. If nobody can find it let's set up a time/date that I come over with my test equipment and my wits.

This problem is rather baffling; maybe I'll bring along an Exorcist!
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:57 AM   #20
UAW SKILLED TRADES
 
Stubbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 5,042
Rewards Points: 2,054
Default

Shocks in House


I would assume that those people who have looked at the problem are getting the same results as you?...ie...shocks...
Stubbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:06 PM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW of D.C.
Posts: 5,990
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Shocks in House


Passing current only through the fingers of your hand is safer than passing current through your chest, but that method may not be practical here.
Also, we might be looking for a voltage gradient.

If you can "arrange to get a shock" with only two point contact (let's say a hand and a foot, insulate the rest of your body with a thick blanket, the back of your hand and the top of your foot are more sensitive to this) then you can put a voltmeter or milliammeter between these two points.

So, 1 milliamp is barely detectable and 10 mA is painful.

Set your high impedance voltmeter on >240v and take a reading.

Possible sources of your shock, assuming just a tingle:
-a 240v source in series with 240,000 ohms. Finding out how this 240,000 ohms is achieved then becomes the problem.
-a 120 v source, 120K ohms, same as above
-other readings, you need to ask.
-if you're closer to the 10 mA value, the resistance values are lower. I doubt the voltages are higher.

My first wife insisted to her parents that touching the refrig. and the stove gave her a shock.
They were dismissive of this idea, even though I'm sure they occasionally also felt a shock.
I could only feel it sometimes, so I put a 1000-ohms/volt-sensitivity meter on it and confirmed a voltage higher than 48v.
When I tried to measure the source impedance by loading it with different resistance values the source impedance value came out negative which I realize now, many years later, was telling me that the source impedance value depends on the current drawn, so I could not use linear equations to model this circuit.

Anyway, we'll see what happens. . .


Last edited by Yoyizit; 07-19-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cape Cod Style House Attic/Crawl Space Insulation Help Danielg Insulation 24 05-21-2012 08:20 AM
Connecting main house to guest house... hlavine Building & Construction 31 03-28-2012 09:04 AM
200 Amp service really needed for a 830 sq ft house? overkill? alexz Electrical 7 11-16-2009 05:54 PM
Hello. I moved my house... shtoink Introductions 10 06-25-2008 01:40 PM
Complete AC installation in Old Capitol Hill Row House jacko10 HVAC 0 09-18-2007 05:42 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.