Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-25-2008, 08:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Shocks in House

My wife and I recently had our house completely and professionally remodeled with all new wiring, main breaker box, sub panel and a 3.2 KW solar array mounted on the roof.

We have lived in the house now for 5 months with absolutely no problems.

About 2 weeks ago we had a bad storm which dropped a tree limb on a powerline knocking out power to our whole street. During the outage we were running on our backup battery system installed when the solar system was installed. We were fine for 3 full days without any utilities fed power.

After the utilites power was restored, my wife and I started getting "shocks" in bed while sleeping. They were unmistakeable. We also felt that we were getting an extremely low voltage of current running through our bodies such as you might get during a chiropractic visit with electro-stim.

This has been frustrating since we are now not able to find a place in the house that has any relief from this extreme low voltage sensation. It causes headaches and sleepless nights.

We have had our electrician and solar installer look at the problem and they cannot figure out any errors in their respective systems.

I am reaching out to the community to see if anyone else has any possible solutions.

Thanks in advance.

nixonj63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:12 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,004

Shocks in House

Call the power company today. Since you say this is occurring after the black out, it is very possible they have an issue with your transmission.

Did your electrician open the meter box outside and the main panel inside. Because this sensation occurs in your bed, it baffles ones mind, as you are somewhat insulated. Do you have high tension wires in close proximity to your house.
Call the electrician and ask him if he removed, cleaned and tightened all the lugs in the meter and panel.

Maybe someone here can be of more assistance to you.

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:30 AM   #3

Shocks in House

J.V.

Thank you for your quick reply. We will contact the power company and see if they are part of the problem.

thanks.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:33 PM   #4
electrical contractor

Rewards Points: 150

Shocks in House

you dont by any chance have a water bed do you? If so than un plug the heater and see if the shock goes away.

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid.
wire_twister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:23 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Shocks in House

Cut off utility power and see if you still get the shocks running on your battery/solar system.
If the shocks go away when utility power is cut, it would seem that the problem is with the utility, and you should contact them immediately.

Perhaps the grounding wire from your main panel was damaged during the storm?
Although your lights and appliances may function normally, there will be stray voltage due to capacitive coupling from live wires to the ground, and without a connection to earth, you will probably get some current through your body when you contact between an earth ground (like a water or heat pipe, or your cable TV, etc) and anything that is connected to the electrical ground in your house, such as a switch plate, outlet, appliance, etc.

If you have a water bed, I would take the advice and unplug it immediately.

FW
fw2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:58 AM   #6

Shocks in House

Wire Twister and FW2007,

Thanks for your replies. We do NOT have a water bed and have indeed contacted Dominion Virginia power to have them come out and check the grounding of their lines after restoring power.

Our electrician and general contractor said that there might be a power discharge that is not properly grounded by the Utility and it may be causing this issue. Regardless, we are simply trying to set things right back in our home.

We will also try cutting off the utility power as well as the solar battery backup power together and idependently of each other.

thank you both for your responses.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:30 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

Shocks in House

Quote:
After the utilites power was restored, my wife and I started getting "shocks" in bed while sleeping.
PLEASE keep us updated.

My first thought is that you are nuts (like the guy who was sure that the utility co was sending gamma rays or something thru his house wiring)....but I have seen a lot of unusual things in my life. I need to know the outcome.

It would have to be some serious stray voltage to "leak" thru the floor, bed, etc.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:46 PM   #8
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

Shocks in House

Hey nixon, what part of VA. are you in? If you're in the Richmond area, I'd love to come by and check this out, free of charge of course.
wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:50 PM   #9

Shocks in House

Wirenut1110,

Thanks for the offer of stopping by. We live in Falls Church, just outside of DC so that is pretty far to travel. WE have a few local people looking into this for us and hopefully they will press Dominion to come out quickly and check things out.

I will keep everyone informed of the results and resolution of this situation.

thanks.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:09 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,004

Shocks in House

The power company should have been there the very day you called. You might need to call the regulatory commission for the utility to light a fire under their ass
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:38 PM   #11

Shocks in House

do you by chance have aluminum siding? Is it grounded properly? Is your copper plumbing bonded to ground? It seems like you have a field issue. Give it a better path than you to ground.

Absolutely call the utility co.!
Stavop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:05 PM   #12

Shocks in House

This is to update you all on our on-going home situation listed earlier.

On June 27th, the local power company dispatched two technicians to our home to investigate our "shock" situation.

The technicians said that they changed out the ground wires from the pole to the house and also tested the lines with a device referred to as "The Beast". This device evidently puts a load on the lines and checks for issues. During this load test, both my wife and I felt a distinctive surge of power running through our bodies and she got an instant headache and nausea. (No, she's not pregnant).

I only learned about the load tester at the end of the visit from the power company.

At this point we are finding relief from shutting the main power off at the power meter outside of the house and turning off our battery backup from the solar power system. Before turning off the power, we both experience dull headaches at the base of our skulls as well as mild "shocks" and a feeling of current in our bodies.

The symptoms that we are experiencing are most commonly associated with Electromagnetic Fields or EMFs, typically generated by high tension / power lines running near by which we do NOT have.

We had the city inspector come out to check the lines and grounding lines to see if they could discover anything. They found nothing, but one inspector said that he felt a headache start just after being in the house for 10 minutes.

Our only constant that we are finding is that when ALL the house power is shut off then we do not experience any more problems. Essentially we find that after 30 to 60 minutes after shutting off the power that our headaches, chest tightness, and any "shocks" disapate and go away.

As a last bit of information to anyone interested, we do NOT have any waterbeds, high tension lines nearby, or aluminum siding.

We do have a 3.2 KW solar array mounted on a metal roof with a "power grid intertied" battery backup system backing up the solar array to 3 circuts in the house.

No one on our end of the electricians, solar company, city engineers, or power company can tell us anything other than "they see no problem" at their end.

Any help in this situation is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:47 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,002

Shocks in House

Get an EMF detector and see if all of your wiring for your solar system is generating too high a field force.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 03:51 PM   #14
liscenced electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Shocks in House

id say, disconnect one piece at a time, and see which cures it
jimmy21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 05:29 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 250

Shocks in House

With your house isolated from the power company, are you having problems if you are running ONLY off of your back up battery power? In your first post you said it was only after the power was restored that you had problems but now you can only get relief by shutting off ALL power??? Just trying to clarify obviously it makes a huge difference on whose fault it could be.

Are your panels 12/24DC or 240VAC?

Last edited by pcampbell; 07-04-2008 at 05:33 AM.
pcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote