Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-21-2007, 06:31 AM   #1
I have gas!
 
Clutchcargo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,767
Share |
Default

Shocked while touching conduit??


I'm reworking some circuits in the basement. I was adding some new conduit for new lights and outlets for the basement. While I was putting the conduit together (no wires yet, but the conduit is attached to the panel), I was getting a slight shock. My wife was vacuuming upstairs using an unrelated outlet. When I asked her to change outlets, the problem went away. What caused this, is it just because she was using an ungrounded outlet?

__________________
I tear things down and build them up.
Clutchcargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 06:44 AM   #2
Member
 
RippySkippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Ames, Iowa
Posts: 1,233
Default

Shocked while touching conduit??


Could it have been a static shock? Not uncommon with vacuuming...and grounding wouldn't hurt.

RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 08:41 AM   #3
I have gas!
 
Clutchcargo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,767
Default

Shocked while touching conduit??


No it wasn't static, I could tell there was current flowing through me. Is this ungrounded outlet dangerous or is that just the nature of an ungrounded circuit?
__________________
I tear things down and build them up.

Last edited by Clutchcargo; 05-21-2007 at 08:44 AM.
Clutchcargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 03:00 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 35
Default

Shocked while touching conduit??


Well..anytime current flows through you, it isn't a good thing. Wish I knew what to tell you, but since I don't, I'll leave it with "talk to a pro, it could be dangerous."
Beren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 06:26 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 682
Default

Shocked while touching conduit??


I am going to guess that you have two problems.

One is a short from neutral to ground on the circuit that the vacume was on when you were shocked. Two is a loose neutral to ground bond in the panel.

the combination of the two caused the neutral currents to flow over the ground path and you.

this is something to be concerned about, and get fixed.
__________________
Master Electrician
jwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:49 PM   #6
I have gas!
 
Clutchcargo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,767
Default

Shocked while touching conduit??


Thanks J, you nailed it.
Although the hoover doesn't have a ground. The outlet does. I pulled the cover off the panel and found the ground either broke off or was snipped off and was just tucked in under the fitting. The outlet had a bare ground so I think that it may have been touching the neutral screws of the outlet.

__________________
I tear things down and build them up.
Clutchcargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
conduit around the swimming pool januwan Electrical 6 05-20-2007 08:14 PM
Conduit through basement wall. bdalekid Electrical 13 01-31-2007 08:35 PM
2" conduit and subpanels A.W.Davis Electrical 4 11-23-2006 08:23 PM
Basement Electrical- Flexible Conduit? H Thomas Electrical 2 04-20-2006 08:42 PM
Running Conduit in new basement framed walls tben Electrical 3 12-10-2004 11:14 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.