Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-03-2013, 04:49 PM   #1

Share |

Shielding coax from parallel electrical wires

Hello all,
Longtime lurker, first time poster. I am doing a partial basement renovation (bathroom and bedroom) and intend to run coaxial cable (RG-6) to the new bedroom. My problem is that the only path that I have available to run the cable (along a structural I-beam that runs down the center of the house) is also the location of 2 or 3 NM electrical cables that take advantage of the same pathway. At present, the Romex and the coax run in parallel for approximately 20 feet. For various reasons, I cannot relocate either without dramatically increasing the scope and cost of this project.

Everything I've read says to keep coax 6-12 inches away from electrical cable. Since that is not possible in my case, is there any kind of additional shielding I can apply to the coax, or is there special coax manufactured for situations such as these?

Thanks for the consideration.

Rigel900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:03 PM   #2
JOATMON

If your coax shield is properly grounded to earth ground.....you will be fine....

Your ac power is 60Hz.....the coax signal is 100MHz to 1Ghz.......Even Chinese made video equipment will have a balun on the coax end....the 60hz will not get in.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

COAX is already shielded. 20' is not going to hurt anything.