Shed: One Light, One Plug - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2007, 12:27 PM   #1
Weekend Builder

Rewards Points: 75

Shed: One light, one plug

I am just about to finish building my new 8x12 shed to replace the old one..

The old one has one light, two plugs. Not even sure where the wires originate, looks like a hack job. It will be destroyed.

I want the new one (10 feet away) to have 1 light (switch inside door), and one plug (not affected by light switch), GFI, inside the shed.

Questions:

Where can I source the power from. The new shed is 10 feet from the house, easy access via a hole in the wall (now sealed) which leads to breaker panel room.

Does the eletrical line need to be of a specific sort (it will travel outside, I live in Canada).

Does it need to be burried deep? Hope not as I live on hard ground.

When it enters the shed, any words of advice on routing?

THansk!

Advertisement

Crackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

You ought to be able to pull the power from the breaker panel in the breaker panel room, (I'm just assuming that's why it's called that ). If you'll be running power tools in the shed you might want to consider using a 20 amp breaker. In most areas I'm familiar with in the states the underground cables are placed 18" down but you should check your codes there. It would certainly be a good idea to put the cable in conduit. There is direct burial cable usually designated UF that doesn't require conduit, but if you have burrowing rodent thingies that can be problematic. You can use #14 for 20 amps or beef it up a bit with #12 for power tools, especially if you think you'll be plugging in extension cords to the new outlet in the shed.

Of course all of this should be checked with your local code authority.
__________________________________________________ ______
http://blog.sunworldventures.com

Advertisement

DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 06:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeTee View Post
You ought to be able to pull the power from the breaker panel in the breaker panel room, (I'm just assuming that's why it's called that ). If you'll be running power tools in the shed you might want to consider using a 20 amp breaker. In most areas I'm familiar with in the states the underground cables are placed 18" down but you should check your codes there. It would certainly be a good idea to put the cable in conduit. There is direct burial cable usually designated UF that doesn't require conduit, but if you have burrowing rodent thingies that can be problematic. You can use #14 for 20 amps or beef it up a bit with #12 for power tools, especially if you think you'll be plugging in extension cords to the new outlet in the shed.

Of course all of this should be checked with your local code authority.
__________________________________________________ ______
http://blog.sunworldventures.com

14 is only rated for 15 amps its 12 thats rated for 20 amps
wooderson is offline   Reply With Quote