Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2008, 06:38 PM   #1

Share |

Share Neighbors Well They Are Moving

We rented the place we are living in about a year ago. Its situated on 1.5 acres, with neighbors that live at the top of the hill. Our landlord(who bought this property as a foreclosure after the neighbors son lost it) apparently had some kind of agreement worked out with them to continue sharing the well that is on their property and was shared with the son when he lived here. Anyhow...the neighbors have begun to move and we found out this week that the electricity to the well is going to be shut off by the end of the month, thus leaving us without water. The landlord is supposed to be out this weekend with somebody he knows from work that is good with electrical to see if they can run electricity from the well to my house. I don`t have any way to measure the distance so I`m going to give an approximate here....We are at least 75 yards from the well if not more. Is this going to be possible? Or do I need to be concerned here? Would there be fire concerns, as this is a modular home and I am terrified of that?

Last edited by dlarussa68; 10-17-2008 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Title
dlarussa68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:15 PM   #2

75 yards = 225 feet. Should not be a problem. Wires will need a bit of upsizing for voltage drop.

joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:01 PM   #3

How big is the amperage on the well? How big is your service panel? These are the important questions right now.
rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgsgww View Post
How big is the amperage on the well? How big is your service panel? These are the important questions right now.
Where would I find this information? Would I be able to look at the pump on the well? And where is my service panel?
dlarussa68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:50 AM   #5
Electrical Contractor

Cheaper just to call the power company and have the electric in the other house turned on and the bill sent to you. Short term solution at best.

The real issue here should be your house should have it own well. You need to get your landlord moving to have a new well installed on his own property to serve the house you are renting. There are probably a few laws that require this in any case.
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:27 AM   #6
Electrical Contractor

I second what kb said. I had a service call for a real estate agent. People selling there house, but 3 homes used the same well, powered from another home. Nasty divorce caused the sale, and other tenets cut of water. The well was on the other property, and the lady did not have the funds to install county water or a new well. This was about 2 years ago and the house is still sitting empty.
It all works fine when it is family, but when each house gets sold, creates many problems.

You landlord needs to install a well for you.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:51 AM   #7
nap
You talking to me?

first, getting the power turned on in the other house would be illegal. If you somehow got it turned on, you may become liable for anything that happened because it was turned on. (electrical fire? that always seems to be the cause of every fire in the world)

2nd, your LL must provide you with water

3rd. it would be illegal to run power from your house to a adjacent owners property. (trespassing, theft of services, maybe a few others).

This is your landlords problem and you need to stay out of the solution or you may be the defendant in a legal action. It is the LL's legal requirement to provide you with potable water.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 05:43 PM   #8

Let the landlord worry about it. He is required to provide you with a proper water supply.

joed is offline   Reply With Quote