Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2011, 11:00 PM   #1
Yes

Share |

sewing machine control pedal

so i have this old sewing machine with 2 chords that plug into sockets attached to the foot control. one chord is for the light and the other is for the motor. the foot control that has the sockets attached plugs into an outlet. the 2 sockets are specifically labeled due to the voltage output. my problem is with the motor socket (6A-125V). when i plug it in and press on the pedal the motor doesn't work. when i plug it into the light socket(3A-250V) the circuits trip. does anyone know what's wrong?
Attached Images

Yes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:37 AM   #2
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Sounds like the sewing machine motor is shorted. If you plug the motor cord directly into a wall receptacle, does it run at full speed? If not, does it do anything at all? Be careful doing this - it may spark and/or overheat the motor very quickly depending on the nature of the fault in the motor. Based on your description of the symptoms, I expect it will trip your breaker almost instantly, just like when you plug it into the "light" receptacle on the pedal.

Also sounds like the shorted motor burned out the rheostat in the foot pedal, which is why nothing happens when you try to use the pedal to control the motor. Plug a lamp into the "motor" outlet and move the pedal. Does the lamp come on and get brighter as you press the pedal? If not, the pedal is blown.

Most likely the motor and the pedal are both shot.
mpoulton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:42 AM   #3
Yes

i plugged in motor to the "light" receptacle and it ran at full speed, and yes when i plugged it in directly it tripped. the motor does run but only on the "light" outlet. when i plug anything into the motor outlet nothing is powered. would a good solution be to get a new pedal.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:48 AM   #4
And Still Learning

I may be able to help with one of your problems. The pedal is a type of rheostat which may just be corroded. Try working the pedal from min to max about 25 times while it is unplugged.
Know It ALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:54 AM   #5
Yes

I tried 25 times, and no power, and then i tried 50 times, and no power as well. any other things i should try?
Old 01-15-2011, 01:00 AM   #6
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yes View Post
i plugged in motor to the "light" receptacle and it ran at full speed, and yes when i plugged it in directly it tripped. the motor does run but only on the "light" outlet. when i plug anything into the motor outlet nothing is powered. would a good solution be to get a new pedal.
You say the motor runs at full speed, but also that it trips the breaker. Does it do both, like run for a few seconds and then trip the breaker? Does it sometimes run, and sometimes instantly trip the breaker instead? I'm confused as to exactly what you're observing - and the details matter.

Definitely sounds like you need a new pedal. The remaining question is what's up with the motor. It sounds like some kind of fault in the motor may have been responsible for destroying the pedal, so don't try a new one until you have it running right on its own.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:03 AM   #7
Yes

when i plug the motor into the "light" outlet it runs at full speed, when i plug it in directly it trips the breaker.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:35 AM   #8
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yes View Post
when i plug the motor into the "light" outlet it runs at full speed, when i plug it in directly it trips the breaker.
This is strange and unexpected. Not sure where to go from there without testing it myself.