Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2008, 03:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Several outlets go, but come back on when....

This is going to be interesting for SOMEBODY...I had 3 wall outlets and 2 wall switches (one controlling a battery of outdoor lights) in one room go out a couple nights ago. Now here's what could make this simple I HOPE. I went to one of the outlets, and "jiggled" a plug from a light (desklamp)in it, and lo and behold the main light in the room and ALL of the electrical devices in that room (variously attached to the three sockets) CAME ON for a second. And then I jiggled the light until it stayed on and then they all stayed on.Why?
Here is another "variable" however in this equation----it was raining the night this happened, so we "assumed" that the rain had somehow shorted the room out.That seems wrong to me. Also there were NO circuit breakers tripped, and we KNOW the breakers work.
I think it could be this simple:
1. The rain was not in the equation
2. The wall outlet needs to be replaced

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Scott Young
syoung4321@gmail.com

Last edited by scottyoung; 08-03-2008 at 03:05 PM. Reason: forgot a point
scottyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 03:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 280

Scott, It sounds like a loose connection in the outlet you "jiggled". (It won't hurt to check them all, either.) Either spliced wires not wire nutted together tightly enough (or twisted with pliers), or a screw loose (Where the wires are attached to the outlet.) Turn off power to the circuit and check. Oh yeah, also check to see if the outlet is "back-stabbed." On the back of the outlet, there are holes where you can "stab" a wire to make a quick (and usually none too secure) connection. pete

petey_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 03:52 PM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,108

Petey is on the right trail with the backstabbed reference. Your wiggling receptacle is a tell tale sign.

Check every receptacle you can and move the wires to the side screws. The more of these your do the less chance this will ever happen again.