Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-09-2010, 09:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Several Light Switches Don't Work? Help?

New to the forum and already finding some very useful information thanks to the users.

I have a problem. I have a 4-light switch control upstairs which controls a ceiling fan/light, a stairwell light, and an hallway light. I also have a 4-light switch control downstairs that controls 3 other lights/outlets (operational) and one of the light switches control the stairwell light.

The 4 switches upstairs do not work, as well as the downstairs switch controlling the stairwell light. Further, upstairs at each end of the hallway I have single light switches that control the hallway light that don't work either.

Could it be that a light switch went out and it causing the other to not work?

I can't figure this out. It's weird as I had my HVAC serviced in the attic today, and the light switch for the attic was definitely out and I did replace that...the wiring in the attic was no where near the HVAC service man so I know that can't be it. SHould I just replace all eight switches? I did do a continuity test on each one, and they reacted as appropriate when the switch was on it reacted, and off..it didn't. But no AC coming from any of them. Could one be bad and they are daisy chained for power?

Really lost...I usually can figure this stuff out between past experience and a little internet search, but not this time. Thanks ahead of time for those that may be able to help.

Scorpion6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:21 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Check your fuse/breaker box for a tripped/blown circuit.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsparky View Post
Check your fuse/breaker box for a tripped/blown circuit.
First thing I did...not circuit break tripped at all...nothing. Really can't narrow it down at this point...
Old 10-10-2010, 02:07 AM   #4
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Check the ceiling luminaire for any loose connection due you mention HVAC tech was there somecase the viberations may loosen up the conductor connections a bit so check that out first to make sure.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
Check the ceiling luminaire for any loose connection due you mention HVAC tech was there somecase the viberations may loosen up the conductor connections a bit so check that out first to make sure.

Merci.
Marc
Merci:

Figured it out...again, HVAC technician was there and mentioned the attic light didn't work, which surprised me as that switch is not used alot. I know some of the basic of electrical work, and honestly, didn't adhere to my own practices.

This was the problem...My attic switch is interconnected with all those light I mentioned - same circuit. So when I replaced my single pole switch, and you know you have two screws on the right, and the ground screw on the bottom left, I hooked up my (3) wires...which were (odd colors - not standard) black gray and another kinda black wire, but didn't follow my basic practice to adhere to writing down/paying attention which wires to hook up. Basically I hooked up the common wires, but took the "travel" wire and hooked it up to the "ground" - this caused the other lights not to work, but th attic light worked. Moved the travel wire with the hot wire on the bottom right screw, and I'm good to go. This is where it was before, and the grounds were already hooked up in the box.

So I'm back in business. I guess we all make mistakes...but I'm good to go!

Thanks for the suggestions and responses...Glad there is a forum like this to help those DIY'er's.