Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2010, 07:12 PM   #1

Share |

SEU / SER cable

What is the difference between SEU cable and SER cable? Where is each type used?

Thank you,
Mike
Mike2401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:16 PM   #2
Electrician

SEU / SER cable

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=86942
Mike2401 (08-05-2010)
Old 08-05-2010, 11:31 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

SEU / SER cable

They are both "type SE" cable.

Type SE style U has a concentric grounding conductor, with individual strands wrapped around the insulated, current-carrying conductors.

Type SE style R has a regular grounding conductor usually bare and stranded.

Both styles have an outer PVC jacket on the cable assembly.

Here is a spec sheet from one manufacturer on these cable assemblies.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kbsparky For This Useful Post:
Mike2401 (08-06-2010)
Old 05-04-2011, 12:04 AM   #4

SEU / SER cable

Do SE Style U and SE Style R have different applications?

For example, I have a house that I'm upgrading, as pic'd below. There's no disconnect involved outside, so the panel inside is the main panel. It is to be 200amp. My plan is to use 4/0 SEU AL from service drop to meter, and from meter to panelboard. Will this be compliant?

At this point, all power to the house is turned off, and I plan on finishing it this weekend.

sirsparksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:20 AM   #5
Licensed electrician

SEU / SER cable

As long as it is allowed in your area, SE-U would be fine for that application.
sirsparksalot (05-04-2011)
Old 05-04-2011, 09:03 AM   #6
I ask the impossible!

SEU / SER cable

I've been through this and other issues relating to my own project to upgrade my service, except I'm moving the service entrance so we'll have the old service in use until the POCO comes to disconnect it at the same time they connect the new.

The thread linked above is interesting but was focussed on SE-U vs. USE, although it later also included a photo of SE-R as well.

Try to find out if your POCO has information about service entrance wiring online because I've found that my POCO has info and it is possible to find other POCO online where things are done differently.

For example, DTE (still can't help thinkng of them as Detroit Edison) does not want the ground enterring the service meter socket. In my general internet searching on the topic I found a PoCo in Mississippi that does.

So for my installation, SE-U was more appropriate than SE-R. SE-U has 2 hot conductors and a third which the strands are around the 2 hot conductors. SE-R has 4 conductors. In my installation, the 4th conductor would've been unused. Since I'm using rigid metal conduit for service mast, I'd have to cut off that 4th conductor where it goes out of the weatherhead and where the cable enters the socket.

Another option might have been to go with individul conductors, but SE-U was available at Home Depot.

(I had actually been to an electical supply to get indivdual conductrs for my underground run to the garage, and was also sold SE-R for the service upgrade - but it's a major inconvenience for me to goto the electric supply because their hours are entirely hours when I'm at work.)
Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
WillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:00 AM   #7
Licensed electrician

SEU / SER cable

SE-R is typically run to a subpanel.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:17 PM   #8

SEU / SER cable

So the difference, then, is that style U has two ungrounded conductors and a stranded ground (which is to be used as the neutral), while style -R has 2 ungrounded conductors, an insulated neutral and a stranded ground?
Old 05-04-2011, 02:12 PM   #9

SEU / SER cable

bumpers
Old 05-04-2011, 02:30 PM   #10
I ask the impossible!

SEU / SER cable

Here is one company's pages on SER and SEU cable, this is the brand carried at HD and Lowes I believe at least locally:
http://cerrowire.com/default.aspx?id=37
http://cerrowire.com/default.aspx?id=31

Since we're talking about 4/0 aluminum for 200 amp service, I'll use that as an example. The SEU has 2 4/0 XHHW-2 cables with 19 strands that bundle to 4/0. The SER cable has 3 XHHW-2 conductors at 4/0 and an uninsulated conductor at 2/0.

I'm not sure what manufacturer the electric supply house I went to uses, but the SER cable I got there actually had black, red and white colored insulation on the 3 wires. I think sometimes you might get black with a red stripe, black and black with a white stripe.
Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
WillK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WillK For This Useful Post: