Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

The setting process for 2 motion lights

I have 2 outside motion lights going to one switch installed about 5 years ago...I have installed new energy bulbs...I hve no instuctions on how to set them to come on with motion and they do not work. How do I reset them as I have turned and switched and messed with every button on them and now have myself all confused on where they were set or what they should be!! I screwed up! Any help???

Tinkering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:12 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkering View Post
I have 2 outside motion lights going to one switch installed about 5 years ago...I have installed new energy bulbs...I hve no instuctions on how to set them to come on with motion and they do not work. How do I reset them as I have turned and switched and messed with every button on them and now have myself all confused on where they were set or what they should be!! I screwed up! Any help???
If by energy bulbs you mean you installed fluorescents, your problem is most likely that your fixture's motion sensor is not able to switch a fluorescent load. This is a common theme amongst these fixtures.

LooseSCruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #3

The packaging for the flourescent bulbs said they would work in all old style fixtures....I thought since I mixed the switching and buttons and knobs on the fixtures I had to reset like they were just installed...like switch on wait 10 seconds hold ur left foot tap ur right toes...kinda thing. Like a proceedure to set up....Not so??
Tinkering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:35 AM   #4

No compact fluorescent light manufacturer can speak for all light fixture manufacturers in saying that their lamps work in all fixtures they screw into. The lamps will work in all fixtures with direct connection to the power source, i.e. no electronics such as dimmers or motion sensors.

Check the instructions for your fixture. Often turning the wall switch on and off twice fairly quickly (not whipping it up and down) will reset it.

Last edited by AllanJ; 04-02-2012 at 09:39 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:16 AM   #5
Licensed Pro

Put the old incandescent bulbs back in and see if the fixture will work properly. Set the switch to "test" which will override the photocell function and allow you to adjust the motion detection. If all is working properly, then install the energy saver bulbs. If the units now do not work, it is the bulbs.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:40 PM   #6

another thing that can be is, the bottom florescent bulbs are fatter than the old bulds (beacause of the ballast it houses) and therefore cant screw in all the way.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:29 PM   #7
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 16

AND....make sure the lights don't have a dim feature. Our motion lights have a feature that allows the bulb to be dimmed down when motion is not detected....sort of like a night light. This is not good for CFL's.

Like HouseHelper said...put in incandescents...test adjust...then go to CFL.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote