Service Upgrade Question. - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-27-2010, 01:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Service upgrade question.

Upgrading electrical from 100 amp to 200 amp. I got a spec sheet from the local utility and have everything needed for the utility side of things. I also have a type 3R Outdoor Service disconnect to be mounted directly under the meter pan. I will install a 100 amp breaker for the house leaving a double pole slot for future expansion.

My questions:
1) Do I tie in the meter pan to the service disconnect directly to the service disconnect bus lugs? This would leave the bus energized unless pulling the meter or calling electrical company. Or, is it okay, better, legal, to back feed through the 200 amp breaker to be able to kill everything?
2) I was told that 2awg copper would be sufficient from the 100 amp breaker to the inside panel. Is this going to be good enough for attic heat?
3) Do I need to protect these lines in the attic, meaning, do I need to install them in PVC or am I good just running on the attic floor? I can't see why not since every electrical wire wire in the home is on the attic floor.

Thanks guys,
Kevin

Advertisement

6genet is offline   Reply With Quote