DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

service upgrade needed ?

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  37victor3 
#1 ·
hello, i'm wondering if i am in need of a service upgrade. i recently bought a house, in NYC and i knew walking in that the electrical panel was a little dated. i was ok with that cause i've worked for three years with IbEW local #3 in ny, and i figured that i can change the panel on my own but. My Problem is that due to the fact that the house is in need of an upgrade, there is a shortage of outlets in every room. and last night the cable guy plugged in a hilti rotory drill in the an outlet and everytime he used it i noticed that my lights would dim. i'm wondering if this an indication of a service upgrade or a load reduction of my circuit panel.

#2 ·
Rotary hammers pull current and can dim lights. Some vacuum cleaners trip 15 amp breakers too. If that's the only indication along with the lack of receptacles, I see no issues. I would check with the city about installing the new service or panel. I understand NY can be rough on stuff like this. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.