Service Power Hookup In Panel - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-27-2016, 10:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 161
Question

service power hookup in panel

We are selling our condo, and the only thing they noted was:

"Improperly wired electrical panel resulting in only one side of the main buss bar being energized and 110v service
to the panel instead of 220v. Somebody added breakers and a jumper wire to energize the right side of the main
buss bar. Further review by a qualified electrician is necessary"

What do you guys think the cost would be to get that done? The buyers want it done with a licensed electrician, so I have to have someone do it. I am just wondering what do you think the rough cost would be? A few places I called will not quote over the phone, I don't want exact, just rough cost estimate. I know things can happen, and it may be a bigger project then let on first, but before I even waste my time and theirs meeting up, what do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails
service power hookup in panel-capture.jpg  

Advertisement

vivithemage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:35 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 516

It could be a minimum service call charge and take 15 minutes. My guess is someone did that to put a band aid over a serious problem. If that's the case it could be a few grand. Is there an unfinished space between the feeder and fed panel in case a new wire is needed? Is the panel fed by conduit or a cable?

Advertisement

Arrow3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arrow3030 For This Useful Post:
mpoulton (04-27-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 10:41 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 278

Re: service power hookup in panel

Well, you don't know IF that black wire is energized or not. Is this really the main panel? Where is the disconnect?

This surely can't be the only panel for an entire condo. There don't seem to be enough circuits.
jreagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow3030 View Post
It could be a minimum service call charge and take 15 minutes. My guess is someone did that to put a band aid over a serious problem. If that's the case it could be a few grand. Is there an unfinished space between the feeder and fed panel in case a new wire is needed? Is the panel fed by conduit or a cable?
Sorry, that was a lot of jibberish to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreagan View Post
Well, you don't know IF that black wire is energized or not. Is this really the main panel? Where is the disconnect?

This surely can't be the only panel for an entire condo. There don't seem to be enough circuits.
It's a small condo, 600~ square feet. This is the main panel, there are two phases for the 11 unit complex, I assume it runs into one as well.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:01 AM   #5
JW

Rewards Points: 498

I never quote anything over the phone. Far too many variables.

Get quotes from several reputable electrical contractors and compare them.

The panel is a complete hack job and needs to be corrected.
mm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm11 View Post
I never quote anything over the phone. Far too many variables.

Get quotes from several reputable electrical contractors and compare them.

The panel is a complete hack job and needs to be corrected.
I do not doubt it, I am just trying to gauge what it could cost. contractor wise, I have just been googling for companies that do electrical in my area, are there better places to search for contractors?
Old 04-27-2016, 11:17 AM   #7
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 4,000

People come on this forum all the time asking how much something is likely to cost. Unfortunately this is not a cost estimating forum, it is a do it yourself chat room. The only possible way to get an estimate for a project as loosely defined as the one you present is to get a few quotes from licensed electricians, which will require an on site visit. What use are you going to make of over the internet opinions on how much such a project might cost?
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
People come on this forum all the time asking how much something is likely to cost. Unfortunately this is not a cost estimating forum, it is a do it yourself chat room. The only possible way to get an estimate for a project as loosely defined as the one you present is to get a few quotes from licensed electricians, which will require an on site visit. What use are you going to make of over the internet opinions on how much such a project might cost?
Rough cost, but I see your point. I will just have a few people I google come out and quote me. Cross my fingers it isn't too high.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:22 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 516

I'll simplify it for you. A minimum charge (hundreds of dollars) for a simple fix or multiple hours of labor and materials (thousands of dollars) for a serious repair.

Some people like the next door app because you get good referrals from immediate neighbors.
Arrow3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:22 PM   #10
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 164

The report never listed if the other leg was originally or still connected in the other panel. If it was abandoned the reason needs to be figured out. The cable may need to be replaced.
mpoulton (04-27-2016), Oso954 (04-27-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 01:40 PM   #11
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,688

I agree with Jim and Arrow. The real problem here is probably not the odd feeder situation and bizarre jumper in the panel. That's just a hack-job temporary fix for something else. The real problem is whatever made someone wire it that way. There's probably a different problem elsewhere that's hard enough to fix that someone just decided to hack it together like this instead.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:43 PM   #12
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 164

Here is some background
http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...v-service.html
Old 04-27-2016, 03:39 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 5,254

I find it interesting that while the inspectors jumped on the 110v label, no one commented on the left side right side labels. The even stabs 2nd, 4th, etc on both sides would be served by that jumper.

The breakers on the right side were labeled as kitchen breakers by the inspector. If any two of those 4 are a MWBC, there is now the possibility of an over loaded neutral.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:47 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 62

You're feeder to the panel was probably only a 2 wire feeder and a bare bond? If that is the case, your feeder cable will need to be replaced, depending on how difficult that is, you'll have parts and materials for that.
Check your panel. If there are no 2 pole breakers installed in it, I would guess that would be the case.
Depending on the feeder from your main panel, underground, through walls, ect, it could be several hundred dollars in material and upwards of a days labour to fish a new feeder through finished walls
psgama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:51 AM   #15
Short Circuit

Rewards Points: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivithemage View Post
We are selling our condo, and the only thing they noted was:

"Improperly wired electrical panel resulting in only one side of the main buss bar being energized and 110v service
to the panel instead of 220v. Somebody added breakers and a jumper wire to energize the right side of the main
buss bar. Further review by a qualified electrician is necessary"

What do you guys think the cost would be to get that done? The buyers want it done with a licensed electrician, so I have to have someone do it. I am just wondering what do you think the rough cost would be? A few places I called will not quote over the phone, I don't want exact, just rough cost estimate. I know things can happen, and it may be a bigger project then let on first, but before I even waste my time and theirs meeting up, what do you guys think?
It would be helpful if you told us what happened to make you or a DIYer wire the panel this way. We could give you a more informed answer regarding cost.

Advertisement

emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote