DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Electrical (
-   -   service panel (

mike_l 05-17-2009 07:04 AM

service panel
i have a 100 amp main panel and would like to put in a 60amp service panel in what type wire do i need?

Speedy Petey 05-17-2009 07:21 AM

OK, I totally don't get it. The 100A main IS your service panel.

Are you wanting to install a sub-panel?

If so then you'll need to give us a few more details. The most important being where will the sub be?

InPhase277 05-17-2009 07:31 AM

Sub-panels have to be the most frequently rehashed topic here. Do a search, then come back with specific questions.

mike_l 05-17-2009 09:15 AM

the sub -panel will be right next to the main panel the main panel is full
im adding a room to house and i dont want to use any more tandem breakers

Speedy Petey 05-17-2009 09:22 AM

Read up here and let us know if you have any questions.

J. V. 05-17-2009 11:06 AM

Search and read for days. Guarantied!

mike_l 05-17-2009 11:27 AM

what i dont understand is how do i come off the main panel(when its full) to feed the sub-panel witch will be 60 amp

Paelectrican 05-17-2009 01:46 PM

Mike you are going to have to open up two spaces on your main panel and maybe add them to your sub panel once it's in.

Speedy Petey 05-17-2009 02:10 PM

Exactly. Move two circuits, or one 240v circuit, from the main over to the new sub-panel.

220/221 05-18-2009 12:56 PM

Just do it right and change the panel to a suitable size. Adding crap to crap just makes a big pile of crap.

Speedy Petey 05-18-2009 02:40 PM


Originally Posted by 220/221 (Post 275182)
Just do it right and change the panel to a suitable size. Adding crap to crap just makes a big pile of crap.

I disagree, and I think many would agree.

A sub-panel is a perfectly acceptable solution. IMO just changing the panel is half-assed. If you are going to go through all that just do a service upgrade to 200 with a full sized panel.

220/221 05-18-2009 02:58 PM

Changing the panel will also clean up a lot of issues common in outdated overfilled panels.

In a lot of cases it's not a lot more work/money than adding a sub., ESPECIALLY if it is one of those basement installed panels with the cabling all exposed. You could do the job in the same amout of time it would take to install a sub.

You'd have all new breakers @ $4 a piece and all conductor connections would be fresh and tight.

More than likely his original panel is small, old and over filled. Now he will have to reroute a couple circuits from there to make room for the new sub feed which will probably just add to the mess.

Keep it simple. Take it out and install a bigger panel :thumbsup:

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:24 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1