Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2011, 07:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Service Line Height Requirement

Hey all,

So I recently bought this house and the service line to me seems odd.

It is very low where it comes across my front porch. I'd put the line height over my porch at about 7.5ft. Meaning when I stand on the edge of my porch i can reach up and grab the line if I so desired

I know codes vary by location but does this scream not right?

First picture is an overall

2nd pictures viewpoint is eye level

elec1

elec2

nhoc6131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:26 AM   #2
I=E/R

There is a 10' minimum above decks under the 2008 code. There are several related service conductor heights too.
How do those service conductors find their way to your meter?

a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:16 AM   #3

Seems to me that drop also is a violation of the 3' rule in 230.9(A).
Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:45 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 72

It looks like the neighbor next door is running to the pole in the back. Why they did this from the front, who knows. Op, what is the distance from the back like the neighbor, if you enter on the right side of the house. Can you post pictures of the back looking to that utility, and one from between the houses, looking towards the front. Otherwise post a google street of it.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
It looks like the neighbor next door is running to the pole in the back. Why they did this from the front, who knows. Op, what is the distance from the back like the neighbor, if you enter on the right side of the house. Can you post pictures of the back looking to that utility, and one from between the houses, looking towards the front. Otherwise post a google street of it.
I have a very large tree in the middle of my back yard which is why I think they came from the front. Phone and cable come in about 3feet to the left of the service. they are mounted higher so not as bad.

It just looks terrible having all my utilities mounted above my front door. I was hopeing I could find a violation to get them moved.

Standby for pics its getting dark out
Old 09-27-2011, 07:02 PM   #6

Ok sorry for the darkness, I just woke up as I currently work midnights

Anyway my service comes in over the porch runs under the roof over hang about 10 feet to the meter.

Cable does the same run but it comes in higher on the fascia again right over the porch maybe 13-15 feet off the porch.

In the one pic you cant see the neighbors line so i traced it in red.

Neighbor on the other has it from the rear too. Im the only one on this side of the street that has it from the street as the pole is on the opposite site of the street in a tree.

elec5

elec4 by

elec3

Copy of elec3 by Nhoc6131, on Flickr

Last edited by nhoc6131; 09-27-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:31 PM   #7
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 8

What if the overhead were to terminate on the back near the gable and the service cable ran below the soffit? Even if you had to go to the back left to get a good line to the pole it would remove this from the fron of the house.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:48 PM   #8
I=E/R

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhoc6131 View Post
I was hopeing I could find a violation to get them moved.

Standby for pics its getting dark out
A violation? Whom do you think would be responsible for moving the lines?
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:53 PM   #9
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 8

You might be able to ask for a mid-span tap. This is where the overhead starts at a point between two poles.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:10 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 72

No different than what we deal with. The neighbor to the right of us, theirs goes directly over their garage, the neighbor to the left, it skirts just the left of their garage, but through a dogwood. Mine is better, in that all three (catv, telco, poco) are able to go between the two trees in my yard and to the pole.

They took the neighbor's poco to the left of me, and actually used a guy wire between two poles and used that to secure her power, so that they were able to run it aprx 50 or so feet to the left of the pole, so that they could get it to her house. The problem with us, is that we have a alleyway, so no real easy way to do underground, so in our part of the city, everything is aerial for all three.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7ecorsair View Post
A violation? Whom do you think would be responsible for moving the lines?
Well seeing how its the power companys responsibility to keep lines safe Id think it was theirs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
You might be able to ask for a mid-span tap. This is where the overhead starts at a point between two poles.
That is how my neighbor whos meter you can see has his.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
No different than what we deal with. The neighbor to the right of us, theirs goes directly over their garage, the neighbor to the left, it skirts just the left of their garage, but through a dogwood. Mine is better, in that all three (catv, telco, poco) are able to go between the two trees in my yard and to the pole.

They took the neighbor's poco to the left of me, and actually used a guy wire between two poles and used that to secure her power, so that they were able to run it aprx 50 or so feet to the left of the pole, so that they could get it to her house. The problem with us, is that we have a alleyway, so no real easy way to do underground, so in our part of the city, everything is aerial for all three.

My goal was to update the soffits and fascia's to aluminum Im not sure how that would work with the power running right there. I feel like a mast might be the best as the line really sags from its place on the pole to my house. plus the line runs through two trees to get there.

Im just not even sure how to go about getting this done. Id have to convince Charter and ATT to move their lines to. I mean who decided to have all utilities hook in right over your head