Service Entrance - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-07-2009, 02:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Service entrance

Hello all,

I have an old house that I had the service hooked up for awhile ago. Out here, the W. TX desert, hooking up the service consists of putting the meter on a pole and a 200A main breaker panel below it (on the pole). I had given them a 200A disconnect, but they used the panel instead.

What I'd like to do is run the 200A to the house about 40 feet away to feed a 200A panel in the house. I have the pipe and wire in the ground and the new panel in the house.

My question is how do I tie into the panel on the pole? I've never seen or heard of a 200A breaker that I could pop in and go from there. I didn't want to have to do anything above the main breaker because it would be hot and there is no margin for error.

I've had a few ideas, all of which are probable wrong and I'd rather not go into them at the risk of the 'old hands' scratchin' their heads.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,
Kevin

Advertisement

NCC-1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,008

Service entrance

Do you already have one 200 amp service? Or are you in the dark? No power yet? If you already have a working service, you cannot run another service or feeder back into the house again.
I really do not understand your question.

You said, "I have an old house that I had the service hooked up for awhile ago".

Advertisement

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Service entrance

I think you had 200a service supplied to the pole & panel on the pole, but nothing to the house?

Best way would be to take the 200a panel off the pole & put in a 200a main breaker. You'd need an electrican & the POCO involved for that

As JV said, if you already have power running to the house you can't feed it again
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:45 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Service entrance

If it's a siemans panel, they make a 200A main that plugs across the bus.

You can also get a lug kit that plugs into the bus.

Get a make/model number from the panel and google search or post it here.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:54 PM   #5

Service entrance

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
Do you already have one 200 amp service? Or are you in the dark? No power yet? If you already have a working service, you cannot run another service or feeder back into the house again.
I really do not understand your question.

You said, "I have an old house that I had the service hooked up for awhile ago".
Me neither. OP needs to explain better.
Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:50 PM   #6

Service entrance

His service is on the pole. They installed a main breakered panel (instead of the disco) at the pole, under the meter.

Quote:
I had given them a 200A disconnect, but they used the panel instead

If you still have the disco, install it at the pole and relocate the panel to the house.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:44 PM   #7
Union Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Service entrance

That sounds like a crazy setup. Run all of your home runs 40' away from the house, through the back yard and up to the panel? God forbid you need a circuit in the future. I agree that disconnect should be on pole rather that panel. POCO needs to be be there for that.
goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:16 PM   #8

Service entrance

Goose, agreed

220 and Scuba got it. The service is to the pole (~40ft from the house) where the Elect. Co. put the meter AND the panel below the meter. Having the panel there makes no sense and I'm not sure why they did that and did not use the disconnect I had left for them to use.

It's a Sq. D panel, I'll have to get the model # and look for a 200A lug kit, if there is one.

*** Stupid Question ***
Is there any theoretical or safety reason I couldn't use 2 100A breakers and tie them into 3/0 going to the house? I know this may sound crazy but in parallel the volts stay the same and you add the amps, provided the legs are kept separate the load is balanced. Am I missing something?
Old 07-08-2009, 01:06 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 506
Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

Service entrance

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-1701 View Post
*** Stupid Question ***
Is there any theoretical or safety reason I couldn't use 2 100A breakers and tie them into 3/0 going to the house? I know this may sound crazy but in parallel the volts stay the same and you add the amps, provided the legs are kept separate the load is balanced. Am I missing something?
This would be a REALLY BAD IDEA!!! Don't Do it! Just get the disconnect installed at the pole and move the panel to the house. If you want the ability to run power from the pole to outbuildings, you can get a main panel with pass through or feed through lugs that allows the entire service to continue on with wires attached directly to the bus (basically what you'd be doing with the lug kit). Its designed to allow a couple circuits at the panel, while the full service is also available at the house. I believe the biggest breaker you'll find is going to be a 125 amp breaker, other than of course a main breaker.
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:28 AM   #10
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 504
Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

Service entrance

200 amp main breaker with feed through lugs

If your panel looks like this, then it has feed through lugs that you'll hook the feed to your house to.
wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:08 AM   #11

Service entrance

Wirenut: panel looks very similar.

I took a drive out to the house this morning and DUH!, I see the lug for the neutral and where they should go on the bus. I'm not sure why they are not there but should be easy enough to find and replace.

Thank you all for your help.

Much appreciated!!!

Advertisement