Service Entrance - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2009, 01:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Service entrance

I'm upgrading my older cabin, and I have a question on the service entrance. The Power company says I have a 30 amp single phase service. When I open my main breaker box I see a 100 amp breaker. This is weird!

What I'm afraid of is that the wiring from the meter up to the power company connection is sub standard. Is there a standard cable or wire size that must be used for the service entrance?

I can get the power company to come out and disconnect me for a day while this is done, but I want to be sure I'm putting in the right wires!

Any special tricks/requirements for the power company connection?

Thanks

Advertisement

dcwestcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:57 PM   #2
Res Ipsa Loquitur

Rewards Points: 250

Service entrance

Not an electrician but hard to say- in my residential area (most of the time!) Power company supplies wiring to the building in an aerial installation- homeowner is responsible for wiring from there (roofline) down to the meter and within home. Also in my area, underground installations for a residence the poco runs feeders connections and is responsible up to the meter. Homeowner is responsible from meter inward.

If wiring is substandard to the meter the poco should be called for evaluation and potential replacement. No residential building today should be wired with <100A, absolute minimum. Does this cabin have comfort conveniences? Are you expecting to use/install some? Do an assessment for what is used here electrically to determine what you might need in your service, it should then be wired accordingly.

Advertisement

Last edited by handyman78; 03-09-2009 at 04:59 PM.
handyman78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Service entrance

This is a summer cabin, That may get used a little in the winter. So no air condition, just thestandard appliences.

I will do a power survey of useage in the cabin. Good Idea. Thanks
dcwestcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:11 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Service entrance

i've seen 4 plexes have a drop size of #6 aluminum!....they have different standards as far as wire size
NolaTigaBait is offline   Reply With Quote