Service Drop Too Low Above Garage - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2011, 11:02 AM   #1
I ask the impossible!

Rewards Points: 508

Service drop too low above garage

Can someone recommend how I should proceed in getting the PoCo to fix their problem?

Here's the background:

9/5 I had posted that we had a tree fall on our service drop, but that the power had not gone out. The PoCo subsequently removed the wire from under the tree and reconnected it, and I have since removed the fallen portion of the tree myself.

Having done the new service entrance myself, I had become familiar with the PoCo's clearance requirements which can be seen in their online installation manual here:

http://www.dteenergy.com/pdfs/overHead.pdf

On page 9 the manual describes the requirements as follows from note 2 on the diagram:

Quote:
ATTACHMENT POINTS MUST PROVIDE SERVICE DROP CLEARANCES OVER DRIVEWAYS, PORCHES, ETC. GARAGE ROOFS WITH A SLOPE OF 4" IN 12" REQUIRE 3' CLEARANCE. ROOFS WITH LESS SLOPE REQUIRE 8' CLEARANCE.
Prior to the tree falling, the service drop had more than the 3' required clarance. Now the service drop has significantly less than 3' clearance, probably closer to 12". One of the support wires that had previously connected the mid-span connection is missing. After the PoCo took the wire out from under the tree, I noticed the problem and called in to request it be fixed. I also informed them that they left the meter unsealed.

Today I checked on the ticket and found out no ticket is in for the repair. I doubt anyone came out because the seal is still broken on the meter.

Advertisement

Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
WillK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:00 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,448

Service drop too low above garage

My next door neighbor's service drop is sitting in the fake wind vane on her garage, along with the catv & telephone drops are laying on the garage. At least when our utility was going around a year ago fixing some drops, I got them to pull mine back up, so that we would have the proper height above our pool, when we put it up.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote