Service Drop - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-05-2013, 12:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

service drop

I have a question or two on service drop ampacity.

Our home is an older residence with the 3 wire service drop from the pole. We recently upgraded our service from 60 amp to 200 amp and after getting all of the requisite paperwork taken care of, we completed the job and I then called the power company to come and upgrade the meter or anything else that might need upgrading.
The service person came out and informed me that the meter did not need upgrading so we kept the same meter. I asked the person about the old 3 wire service (which doesn't look great) and whether it would be an issue. They said it shouldn't be a problem and everything was good to go.

Here comes my question. Since the visit from the power company I have had one individual (questionable electrical background) tell me that without upgrading my 3 wire drop to a newer triplex service (or something of the sort) that I would not be getting the upgraded 200 amps that I had just paid for and done the work on. Is this really the case? All of the proper upgrades have been done by a licensed electrician. The weatherhead is new, the service from the drop to the can is new (4/0), the service from the meter to the panel is new (also 4/0) the panel and main are new (200 amp), so will my place be getting the upgraded service, or does this guy actually know what he's talking about?

Basically, I guess, it comes down to this: Is the service drop from the pole to the house always pretty much the same and the controls come about based on the size of the conductors, meter and panel, after the drop?
I'm confused as to what actually gets delivered by the power company. Is it pretty much standardized?

Advertisement

rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:10 PM   #2
JW

Rewards Points: 194

service drop

In the Baltimore metro area, the utility owns the service drop up to the meter. So, if your POCO also owns your service drop, you're good to go.

When I've done service upgrades, the POCO has replaced their portion of the service from the pole to the meter only if necessary. If your POCO had no reservations, I think you have nothing to worry about.

Advertisement

mm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #3
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,308

service drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondo View Post
I have had one individual tell me... Is this really the case?
No.

Quote:
it comes down to this...
The 200Amp *capacity* that you paid for is about what is on the inside of the house. In particular, the main breaker in your new panel.

You're good to go.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #4
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,222

service drop

Curiosity...

Anybody familiar with what kinda (size and insulation and name) of wire the POCO uses for overhead.

Seems it is exposed to alot of elements and seems to last forever.

When homes were small and running on 60A, did the POCO's do upgrades regardless of a HO doing an upgrade.

We just did a 200 upgrade on my son's 1949 build, but we went lateral not overhead. I should have asked them, but did not think of it then.

TIA
Old 06-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

service drop

Quote:
Is the service drop from the pole to the house always pretty much the same and the controls come about based on the size of the conductors, meter and panel, after the drop?
I'm confused as to what actually gets delivered by the power company. Is it pretty much standardized?
Someone else already nailed it which is that the whole 200A thing is based on your interior panel (and maybe meter base if yours is really old)... you aren't getting less power from the power company if the conductors from the pole are undersized, you just might get more heating or a voltage drop.

In my case my house was built in 1950, it had a 60A service originally. When I had it upgraded to 200A the electrician installed a new weather head, conduit, meter base, panel, etc... They re-used the existing cables from the pole to my house at the weather head and used some sort of a bolt to attach new and old conductors together (and copious insulating tape)

About a YEAR later the power company showed up and replaced that cable with something new and substantial looking--in fact I had no idea they had done it except that one day I was mowing the lawn and looked up and said, well that's new!

...However prior to, and after that new cable, I never really noticed anything odd about the power in the house, no dimming, no issues running electric stove, water heater and dryer at the same time, etc...
Old 06-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #6
JW

service drop

@ Peter

ACSR- Aluminum Conductor Steel Reinforced

The steel serves as a guy wire to tension the cable.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mm11 For This Useful Post:
Kyle_in_rure (06-06-2013), MTN REMODEL LLC (06-05-2013)
Old 06-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #7
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 502

service drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm11 View Post
@ Peter

and the Neutral ....

called triplex here ...

also here the POCO owns that i have rarely ever seen them change it for an upgraded service
Kyle_in_rure (06-06-2013), MTN REMODEL LLC (06-05-2013), Speedy Petey (06-06-2013)
Old 06-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #8
JW

service drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Master View Post
and the Neutral ....

called triplex here ...

also here the POCO owns that i have rarely ever seen them change it for an upgraded service
ACSR is bare.

Around here, what we call triplex is insulated, and the neutral is tensioned. We're probably talking about the same thing.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:40 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 500

service drop

Quote:
I have a question or two on service drop ampacity.

Our home is an older residence with the 3 wire service drop from the pole. We recently upgraded our service from 60 amp to 200 amp and after getting all of the requisite paperwork taken care of, we completed the job and I then called the power company to come and upgrade the meter or anything else that might need upgrading.
The service person came out and informed me that the meter did not need upgrading so we kept the same meter. I asked the person about the old 3 wire service (which doesn't look great) and whether it would be an issue. They said it shouldn't be a problem and everything was good to go.

Here comes my question. Since the visit from the power company I have had one individual (questionable electrical background) tell me that without upgrading my 3 wire drop to a newer triplex service (or something of the sort) that I would not be getting the upgraded 200 amps that I had just paid for and done the work on. Is this really the case? All of the proper upgrades have been done by a licensed electrician. The weatherhead is new, the service from the drop to the can is new (4/0), the service from the meter to the panel is new (also 4/0) the panel and main are new (200 amp), so will my place be getting the upgraded service, or does this guy actually know what he's talking about?

Basically, I guess, it comes down to this: Is the service drop from the pole to the house always pretty much the same and the controls come about based on the size of the conductors, meter and panel, after the drop?
Not sure I'm understanding your question, but if your service is overhead, POCO owns and attaches its wires to the top of your weatherhead. The wires from the weatherhead, down the mast, and into your meter base are yours, and you're responsible for them. If you previously had 60 or 100 amps, the wires in the meter base would need to be replaced. For 200 amps, 4/0 would be used.

And why are you concerned about an installation from a "licensed" electrician? People talk a lot about "licensed electricians". The key, for me, would be did you use an Electrical Contractor who is also a Master?
Old 06-06-2013, 02:15 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 824

service drop

Anybody familiar with what kinda (size and insulation and name) of wire the POCO uses for overhead.

Triplex insulation is xlpe. The bare neutral is acsr

Last edited by bobelectric; 06-06-2013 at 02:23 AM.
bobelectric is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bobelectric For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (06-06-2013)
Old 06-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #11
Lic Electrical Inspector

Rewards Points: 1,102

service drop

POCO follows different rules. Service drop conductors from pole are considered "conductors in free air" and can handle more current than conductors in a cable. Your installation appears to be compliant. Crack a beer and move on to the next project.
Sizing motors here. Online motor calculator here. Online calculators here.
electures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:36 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,514

service drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm11 View Post
@ Peter

ACSR has the steel (solid or stranded) inside of the aluminum strands. It is uninsulated. It is normally used on the pole tops if long spans are involved. It is far more common in transmission service than distribution service.

I have never seen it used as a service drop.

Triplex is much more common.

Advertisement

Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote