Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-26-2011, 11:29 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3
Share |
Default

Service Disconnect Wiring


Hi all! I recently had a service disconnect installed in my home and would like to know if it has been wired correctly. The electrician I hired seemed like he didn't know what he was doing and my lights now dim when the furnace kicks on...they didn't do this before! I'm thinking it might be a grounding issue, so I roughed up a crude diagram for y'all to look at. The service disconnect is directly below the meter outside the house which is grounded with the existing ground rod. Inside the house, the service panel was grounded to the city water pipe.
The electrician used 4/0-3 aluminum SEU to run from the disconnect to the main service panel inside. I'm pretty sure the bonding is correct in the disconnect (neutral to ground), but should there be an extra ground introduced in the service panel? He ran a 4AWG solid copper line from the inside service panel to the water line which wasn't there before. Is this correct?
Attached Images
 

stlcardinalsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:34 PM   #2
Wire Chewer
 
Red Squirrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,200
Default

Service Disconnect Wiring


That looks ok to me, neutral is not bonded to ground indoors, which is correct because it is bonded outside already. Everything else looks ok too. The only thing I'm not sure about is if there should be a grounding point outside and inside, or if they need to be both at same place.

If lights are dimming it may be a loose connection somewhere, at least that would be my guess. We'll see what the more qualified people say.

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:52 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3
Default

Service Disconnect Wiring


Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
That looks ok to me, neutral is not bonded to ground indoors, which is correct because it is bonded outside already. Everything else looks ok too. The only thing I'm not sure about is if there should be a grounding point outside and inside, or if they need to be both at same place.

If lights are dimming it may be a loose connection somewhere, at least that would be my guess. We'll see what the more qualified people say.
Thanks Red! I didn't think about a loose connection somewhere, that makes sense. I'm also unsure about the grounding points. I remember vaguely reading something about not introducing another ground to a system...something about altering the potential and making the system dangerous for the user. I'm afraid the whole setup may be wrong.
stlcardinalsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:55 PM   #4
" Euro " electrician
 
frenchelectrican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: WI & France { in France for now }
Posts: 5,369
Default

Service Disconnect Wiring


I will step in here and that drawing is correct for USA side.

But there is one isssue did that electrician actually use the SEU or SER? that make the diffrence on exterial disconnection switch.

The most common for lights blinking or tempory dimming is useally loose connection or improper toqured screws or lugs on the conductor connectors.

Have that electrician come back and double check the connection to make sure they are not loose.

The SEU cable is oval shaped while SER is round shape that will affect the whole thing.

If I am right that you have 200 amp service? { Overhead or Underground ?}

Merci,
Marc
__________________
The answer will be based on NEC ( National Electrical code ) or CEC ( Cananda Electrical code ) or ECF ( Electrique Code France )
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:41 AM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3
Default

Service Disconnect Wiring


Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
I will step in here and that drawing is correct for USA side.

But there is one isssue did that electrician actually use the SEU or SER? that make the diffrence on exterial disconnection switch.

The most common for lights blinking or tempory dimming is useally loose connection or improper toqured screws or lugs on the conductor connectors.

Have that electrician come back and double check the connection to make sure they are not loose.

The SEU cable is oval shaped while SER is round shape that will affect the whole thing.

If I am right that you have 200 amp service? { Overhead or Underground ?}

Merci,
Marc
Yeah, that's my fault...it's 4/0-3 SER Aluminum...I mistyped. It is also 200A Overhead. Would it be a bad idea for me to attempt to retorque the connections? If it would be okay, what should I torque the main lugs to and what should I torque the individual branch circuits to? I kinda feel bad now, saying that it didn't seem like he knew what he was doing, seems to me like everything is okay...just a loose connection.
stlcardinalsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:31 AM   #6
Master Electrician
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,783
Default

Service Disconnect Wiring


Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcardinalsguy View Post
Hi all! I recently had a service disconnect installed in my home and would like to know if it has been wired correctly. The electrician I hired seemed like he didn't know what he was doing and my lights now dim when the furnace kicks on...they didn't do this before! I'm thinking it might be a grounding issue, so I roughed up a crude diagram for y'all to look at. The service disconnect is directly below the meter outside the house which is grounded with the existing ground rod. Inside the house, the service panel was grounded to the city water pipe.
The electrician used 4/0-3 aluminum SEU to run from the disconnect to the main service panel inside. I'm pretty sure the bonding is correct in the disconnect (neutral to ground), but should there be an extra ground introduced in the service panel? He ran a 4AWG solid copper line from the inside service panel to the water line which wasn't there before. Is this correct?
If I was doing this installation, the water pipe ground would be at the disconnect, not at the panel.
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:16 AM   #7
Licensed Electrical Cont.
 
Speedy Petey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY State
Posts: 6,779
Default

Service Disconnect Wiring


Quote:
Originally Posted by brric View Post
If I was doing this installation, the water pipe ground would be at the disconnect, not at the panel.
I agree.

I will say that "grounding", as in service grounding, has absolutely nothing to do with the day to day operation of the system. So any flickering or dimming is NOT caused by a grounding problem.
Speedy Petey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:38 AM   #8
Licensed electrician
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,395
Default

Service Disconnect Wiring


Quote:
Originally Posted by brric View Post
If I was doing this installation, the water pipe ground would be at the disconnect, not at the panel.
I agree with Speedy and Brric. Also the bond should not be installed inside.
__________________
Answers based on the National Electrical Code. Local amendments may apply. Check with your local building officials.
Jim Port is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:45 AM   #9
Master Electrician
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,783
Default

Service Disconnect Wiring


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
I agree with Speedy and Brric. Also the bond should not be installed inside.
Jim, IMHO the ground should be bonded at the panel, not the neutral however.
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:49 AM   #10
Licensed electrician
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,395
Default

Service Disconnect Wiring


Quote:
Originally Posted by brric View Post
Jim, IMHO the ground should be bonded at the panel, not the neutral however.
I stand corrected. I saw the word bond and misinterpreted what was being bonded.
__________________
Answers based on the National Electrical Code. Local amendments may apply. Check with your local building officials.
Jim Port is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:07 AM   #11
UAW SKILLED TRADES
 
Stubbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 4,871
Default

Service Disconnect Wiring


Quote:
Originally Posted by brric View Post
If I was doing this installation, the water pipe ground would be at the disconnect, not at the panel.
Yep .. IMO subsection 250.24 requires the GEC system to be terminated to the neutral buss where the service grounded conductor is terminated .. not to a grounding bus in a panel load side of the service equipment. The service equipment now being the new outside disconnect.

I do not think it is a major issue but just saying....
__________________
" One nice thing about the NEC articles ... you have lots of choices"

Stubbie

Last edited by Stubbie; 02-27-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:42 PM   #12
" Euro " electrician
 
frenchelectrican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: WI & France { in France for now }
Posts: 5,369
Default

Service Disconnect Wiring


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
I agree with Speedy and Brric. Also the bond should not be installed inside.
That one thing with all main disconnection location the bonding will be at the firstmost disconnect switch.

I just got one done not too long ago someone use the old steam pipe as bonding and I have to fix that mess { took a better part of day to move that EGC.}

Merci.
Marc

__________________
The answer will be based on NEC ( National Electrical code ) or CEC ( Cananda Electrical code ) or ECF ( Electrique Code France )
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Basement wiring diagram for 60A service/ 600sf renoman Electrical 11 12-28-2010 06:43 AM
Service entrance wiring hunterthompson Electrical 6 09-20-2009 02:59 PM
Rewire 200A service entrance OffRoadAudio Electrical 4 08-24-2009 02:27 PM
Service Disconnect Height jamiedolan Electrical 13 03-11-2009 05:30 AM
How can I determine service amperage? dawho1 Electrical 13 04-07-2008 10:10 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.