Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-11-2011, 07:37 PM   #1

Share |

Service #4 copper main feed line price?

I'm about to wire my new pole building and was told I need #4 copper cable (wire) for the feed for 100 amp service pannel. Does anyone have a idea for the cost of 100' of this product. I have two friends that are going to help and both are licensed. I am trying to set up my budget. Thanks Mark

Big Scaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:46 PM   #2

You need to be looking at prices at a real eletrical supply not just fishing for prices on line.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:48 PM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Scaper View Post
<I>............. was told I need #4 copper cable (wire) for the feed for 100 amp service pannel.
This is far too vague to even guess.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:44 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Scaper View Post
I'm about to wire my new pole building and was told I need #4 copper cable (wire) for the feed for 100 amp service pannel. Does anyone have a idea for the cost of 100' of this product. I have two friends that are going to help and both are licensed. I am trying to set up my budget. Thanks Mark
First of all, #4 copper is not rated for a 100 Amp service for such a structure. It's rated for 85 Amps with most insulation types, and the highest breaker you could use would be a 90 Amp.

If you want wire sufficient for a 100 Amp service, you'd need at least a #3 type THWN or XHHW.

We would install a typical 100 Amp feeder for such a building using 1¼" underground PVC conduit, with (2) #3 hot lines, (1) #4 neutral, and (1) #8 ground.

Depending on the distance involved, the size of the conduit could be as small as 1" (very tight, not recommended) up to 2" (long runs, with max bends).

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:28 PM   #5

Ok here I go, Joe I'm not fishing for price online I'm trying to see what it's going to take to purchase material, I will call a supply house when they are open but since they aren't today I was asking for help. So sorry to have offended your domain. Speedy, vague because I don't know jack about what I need to do. I built a new building, have friends who are in the business but they forgot about favors I have done for them so I'm trying to learn. 200 amp service in the house CH box, want to put a 100 amp box in the barn , don't think I will be close to the rated cap. but I need to hear from those that may know and who aren't judgemental. Kbsparky, thank you for the info I appreciate your trying to help!! I'm a Landscaper not a electrical contractor. I will have a planed 22 outlets, plus 3-220 outlets, eight- 8' low temp start H/P lights, 2- 4' H/P low temp start lights, three outside floods and eight single bulb lights in cages inside the building. I will be running a two post lift and a Trane XR 90 60K BTU propane gas heater. So you see I just need to know what size feed to install for a 100amp service panel. Gentelman at Lowes told me to use 2-2-2-4 Alum MOBL HM FDR what ever the heck that means for the run from inside to the barn a total of 100'. A friend told me I should use 4-4-4-6 copper. So ya see I have a price on the alum. but don't have a clue about the copper. Kbsparky if that gives a better image of what I'm going to do I hope you can continue to help. This is a DIY forum not an expert forum, aleast I thought thats what it was. Mark

Last edited by Big Scaper; 12-11-2011 at 11:31 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:04 AM   #6
Electrical Contractor

If you want to use that mobile home feeder cable, you would have to use a 90 Amp breaker as your feeder. The idiots at Lowe's don't read or know the Code -- they are in the business of selling stuff.

From one of my wholesaler websites I will offer the following:

#3 copper THWN wire: $.94/ft
#4 copper THWN wire: $.75/ft
#8 copper THWN wire: $.31/ft
Sub-total PER FOOT: $2.94/ft <--- and this does NOT include the required conduit

#1 aluminum XHHW: $.33/ft
#2 aluminum XHHW: .23/ft
#6 aluminum XHHW: .13/ft
Sub-total PER FOOT: $1.02/ft <-- again, does NOT include the conduit

2-2-2-4 mobile home feeder: $1.22/ft <-- 90 Amp max capacity. Only requires conduit protection at each end, where exposed

#1 aluminum type USE: $.45/ft <-- direct bury, does not require conduit
#2 aluminum type USE: .31/ft <-- except at the ends, where exposed
#6 aluminum type USE: .19/ft <-- but requires 24" deep trench
Sub-total PER FOOT: 1.40/ft

So, do you want the good stuff, or the cheap stuff?

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:19 PM   #7

Thank you again kbsparky I do very much appreciate the info. I do want to use the best material for my application so copper will be my choice. I have been told that there is nothing wrong with the aluminum though. I just like to do things right the first time to avoid problems down the road. My pop and grandpop used to tell me "Do it right the first time every time and you'll save yourself trouble" That has always been my opinion and it's what I have taught my children all along. If you have any more advice please let me know( light types etc.) I'm always trying to learn. Mark