Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-01-2014, 11:36 PM   #1

Share |

SER Cable for Branch Circuit & Wire Size

I'm redoing most of the wiring in this house (existing wiring is a huge mess) with a new subpanel inside the utility room. The existing setup is a rusty 100A outdoor panel feeding a rat's nest of various junk. The planned new setup is upgrading to a 200A outdoor panel in the existing location feeding a 100A subpanel in the house utility room and a 60A subpanel in the garage (feeding the pump, garage outlets, and planned horse pen area) as well as eventually another 100A subpanel feeding the 2nd house on the property.

1) Is 1-1-1-2 AL SER cable sufficent for a 100A feeder? Length of the cable would be ~60ft with the majority of the run in the attic. (~6ft would be run in 1 1/2 Carlon exterior to the house). From what I have read and researched it appears to be, but I like to confirm that before I spend the money.

2) Can AL SER cable be used for a branch circuit? I need to run a 50A branch circuit ~35ft through the attic and walls for the oven. It looks like I can get 6-6-6-6 AL SER cable cheaper than 8/3 or 6/3 NM-B Cu and would work for the 50A oven circuit and the 60A garage subpanel (~60ft through the attic). I realize that I would have to ensure that the oven outlet I installed was properly rated for Al wire.

Thank you,
~John

sdmuleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:50 AM   #2
Licensed Electrician

The answer to both questions depends on if the cable runs thru thermal insulation. If yes, the cable you have "chosen" is too small.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:02 AM   #3

Ok, thank you.
sdmuleman is offline   Reply With Quote