Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-07-2009, 11:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

seperate switch for bathroom fan

I am wanting to install another switch to control my bathroom fan seperately. Right now, the single switch turns on a bathroom fan as well as a seperate light above the bathroom mirror. How do I install a seperate switch so I can have one run the light and another run the fan from the same power source coming up from the breaker box?

bigbrad123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:59 AM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

How many wires are in your switch box? How many of them are switched?

This could be as simple as changing out the switch to a tandem or despard type, or as complex as fishing in new wiring, or even ripping open the walls/ceiling ...

kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:23 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

We need to know what types of wires are in there. A picture would be a thousand words.
rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:07 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

sorry, I am not an electrical guru, so I don't know all of the official terms, but looks like there is only two sets of wires. One coming up from the main box downstairs and then one going to the lights. There is only one switch. I'm guess i need to get up in the attic to see where the wire going to the bathroom fan is going to or coming from so I know for sure that the wire isn't going down to the switch. I think they may have it wired from the light.
bigbrad123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:44 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrad123 View Post
sorry, I am not an electrical guru, so I don't know all of the official terms, but looks like there is only two sets of wires. One coming up from the main box downstairs and then one going to the lights. There is only one switch. I'm guess i need to get up in the attic to see where the wire going to the bathroom fan is going to or coming from so I know for sure that the wire isn't going down to the switch. I think they may have it wired from the light.

No red wire...you would need to rewire the line from the switch to the fan. To me, this is pretty easy. It should be easy to anybody.
rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:46 PM   #6
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,048

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrad123 View Post
......... but looks like there is only two sets of wires...........
Brad, from your description as two sets of wires then you have NM cable (Romex)
Home Electrical Guide: What is Romex Cable? What is 14/2 or 12/3 Wire? - ACME HOW TO.com

If you said one wire coming in and one wire going out then I would say it's probably in FLEX
Electrical Conduit Basics

Flex would be the easy solution because in most cases another wire can be easily pulled in for a separate switch.

To hardwire another switch leg with NM will almost certainly mean breaking into the wall. An easier solution might be to add a wireless switch. The disadvantage would be that the wireless switched load would need its own source of unswitched AC to make the wireless switch independent of the present wall switch.

Brad, see if you can trace the routing of the NM switched leg. If it goes first to the light and ends at the fan. If so wireless switch could be be wired in to turn OFF the FAN. But the Fan could only switched ON (with the wireless switch) when the Light is ON. The Light would continue to be turned on and off as it is now.

The attached pic is a combination switch that would require the major behind the wall rewiring.

The wireless switch solution would keep the present wall switch but add a new stick up wall switch placed next to the present switch. (Does not require any cutting into the wall.)
Attached Thumbnails
seperate switch for bathroom fan-dbl-switch.jpg  
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:08 AM   #7
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,048

The Wireless Switch Solution that I was referring to is not an X10 it uses piezoelectric switch (no batteries) to transmit a unique coded RF signal to either a plug-in or hard wired receiver that uses a relay to turn AC power ON/OFF.
LightningSwitch.comô - Information and Secure Ordering

Attached Thumbnails
seperate switch for bathroom fan-lightning-switch.jpg   seperate switch for bathroom fan-lightning-transmitter.jpg  

PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote