Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2012, 12:07 AM   #1

Share |

Separate my light and fan

In my bathroom I have 1 switch that turns on both the light and fan. I wanted to put them on separate switches.

The problem is I only have 1 pair of wires that go into the wall to both light and fan.

I can't run new wires without ripping open the wall

I was looking for a solution where either:
-the wires bypass the switch, and the switches send a signal wirelessly to a switch located at the fan and light

OR

-The switches send an encoded signal through the wires activating relays.

ANY RECOMMENDATIONS?

I'm surprised nobody sells a small kit just for this issue. I saw some X10 options but they seem very expensive.

cdeggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:34 AM   #2

Are the light and fan in a single unit. Or is the light in one location and the exhuast fan in a different location?

hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:40 AM   #3

Seperate units in seperate locations. Each have room behind them for electronics.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeggz View Post
In my bathroom I have 1 switch that turns on both the light and fan. I wanted to put them on separate switches.

The problem is I only have 1 pair of wires that go into the wall to both light and fan.....

I'm surprised nobody sells a small kit just for this issue.

This is exactly for your situation:

http://www.functionaldevices.com/pdf...eets/FL101.pdf

Might drive people crazy when switch has multiple functions though...
curiousB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to curiousB For This Useful Post:
goosebarry (07-02-2012)
Old 07-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #5

CuriousB, this won't work for me. I have a light and an exhaust fan in seperate locations, with only two wires between them.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:42 PM   #6

Quote:
CuriousB, this won't work for me. I have a light and an exhaust fan in seperate locations, with only two wires between them.
Start running new cable and get ready for some drywall repair.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:53 PM   #7

Quote:

I think it would. The FL101 goes at the device first after the switch. The incoming white and black would feed the white and black of the FL101. The the light is connected to the white/red wire and the white. The fan is then downstream and is fed by the white and the white/black from the FL101. (flip it around if the fan is fed before the light.

You might not want to do this anyway but it isn't because it wouldn't work.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:38 PM   #8

Ahh, I understand now.

Know of any options that just use two switches? This is the guest bathroom and I don't want to include a manual.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousB View Post
I think it would. The FL101 goes at the device first after the switch. The incoming white and black would feed the white and black of the FL101. The the light is connected to the white/red wire and the white. The fan is then downstream and is fed by the white and the white/black from the FL101. (flip it around if the fan is fed before the light.

You might not want to do this anyway but it isn't because it wouldn't work.
Try this
Name:  FL101.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  21.4 KB
and reverse fan and light as appropriate. (Orange dots are wire nuts)

If you need to mount the device in a separate box, put the box as close to the fan or light, which ever is first in the chain, run the original cable to the device and two cables coming out of the box.
goosebarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #10

Thanks guys. One more thing: Can I add a cheap in-line 15-minute timer to the exhaust fan? I don't want it being left on. Any recommendations?

I'm really considering putting the whole house on Insteon . . . expensive but might be nice.

Side-topic: Anybody know how much an automated light/hvac system (insteon) would add to a home value? Will my investment in insteon pay off?
Old 07-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks guys. One more thing: Can I add a cheap in-line 15-minute timer to the exhaust fan? I don't want it being left on. Any recommendations?

I'm really considering putting the whole house on Insteon . . . expensive but might be nice.

Side-topic: Anybody know how much an automated light/hvac system (insteon) would add to a home value? Will my investment in insteon pay off?

I recommend longer than 15 minutes for a shower, you need the ductwork to get dry. I think they are about $35??? Some have more than one button for different timings.
gailquilter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #12

No shower, just poo-fumes.

Where do I buy this timer?
Old 07-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #13

Quote:

Same website has a 15 minute shutoff timer for closets.

http://www.functionaldevices.com/pdf...CLC212-D15.pdf

Person closes door to do business, when they leave the fan comes on for 15 minutes as long as the door is left open.

curiousB that site is a great find

Side-topic: Home Automation systems don't add value to a house when selling and can negatively impact sales by discouraging potential buyers. They're non-standard gadgets without a broad support network.

That said. Microsoft Kinect boxes are great for setting up a fully gesture controlled home automation system. I'm probably the only person with 6 Kinect boxes and no XBox. But it works great with my Atari 2600.
http://www.bing.com/search?q=kinect+home+automation
(no my work is not on the Internet, also I do work for Microsoft and I did buy all my Kinect boxes)

Last edited by goosebarry; 07-02-2012 at 11:38 PM.
goosebarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:53 PM   #14

Quote:
No shower, just poo-fumes.

Where do I buy this timer?
the timer with different time options plus on and off I think was at either Lowe's or Home Depot.

what would be nice is an alarm when you leave the water running more than 5 minutes except for bath or shower.
gailquilter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeggz

That is asking a lot. Your op spoke to not wanting to rip walls and run new wiring. If you want timers too then start chipping away the walls.