Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2012, 07:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Separate 110 and 220 receptacles on 2-pole 220 V Square D GFI breaker

Hi there,

I could use some help figuring out if I can use a 2-pole 220 V Square D GFI breaker the way I'd like to.

Here are details of my setup. In my back yard, powered on the same circuit, were:

* 1 HP pool pump and chlorinator unit (that can both run on either 220 or 110)
* a 110 outdoor receptacle to run things like a mosquito magnet that runs only on 110 and a leaf blower
* a set of outdoor lights, 110, on a timer

Old setup:
* single pole breaker / 110 v ---> FED
1) outdoor gfci receptacle
- hard-wired pool pump
- hard-wired chlorinator
- receptacle for mosquito magnet etc.
2) outdoor lights (on a timer)

A week ago, my pump failed a week ago, and the pump guy told me it was wired for 220. I said I didn't realize it was 220 and told him I'd been running it and the chlorinator, hardwired on a 110 circuit. He said it could run on 110 but it would start a bit slower and perform a bit differently. He also told me it should be on a GFI breaker.

He also told me that running it on 220 would cost me less. Which was all I needed to justify replacing the single pole breaker with a 2-pole 220 GFI breaker (the earlier single pole breaker wasn't GFI, and I relied on the GFCI receptacle to for protection).

Now, for the moment, all I've got hooked up is the pump, hardwired to a timer box fed by the 220. Before I go any further, I need help figuring out if I can use the 2-pnole 220 V GFI circuit for the setup below, or whether I should go back to the original 110 circuit (but use a GFI breaker instead of receptacle), or, which I don't want to have to do, run another line from the panel for a separate 110 circuit.

Here is my desired setup on 2-pole 220 V GFI breaker:
1) 2 legs, (110 x 2) feeds a timer that powers a 220 V duplex receptacle into which I plug in the following for easy removal in the winter:
a) pool pump, in 220 V mode (capable of 110 V)
b) chlorinator, in 220 V mode (capable of 110 V)

2) 1 leg, 110 V, feeds a separate receptacle for mosquito magnet etc.
3) 1 leg, 110 V, feeds the set of outdoor lights

Where I have some concern is what I've heard about running 220 and 110 on a 220 V GFI breaker, something about unbalanced load and that it will trip.

What are your recommendations and how does this look? Your feedback

Thank you

sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 0
Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

Separate 110 and 220 receptacles on 2-pole 220 V Square D GFI breaker

How big is the wire for this 220 circuit? How much power does the pool pump use? I don't think it will work the way you'd like it to, and likely the pool equipment should all be fed on its own circuit(s). Depending on wire size and load, you may be able to install a small sub panel near the pool equipment/timer and run a couple GFCI circuits out of that panel, with a standard 2 pole breaker in the main panel. This way you wouldn't have any imbalance on the GFI breakers as they would each feed separate loads. Again this is depending on wire size and load requirements at the pool. Wiring around pools has its own concerns and there are many things you have to be aware of.

theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote