Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-01-2010, 08:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Selling Home - Some Electrical Questions before Inspection

I am moving from CA to MO at the end of the month and need to prepare my house for sale. My house is small at 1000 SF and has 100 AMP service. The electrical load is small because both the water heater and stove are gas with no Air Conditioning. I previously installed a subpanel in the garage to support my hobbies. The panel in the garage is also 100 amp with 2 or 4 gauge wiring running to it (can't remember). I installed 6 220V circuits and 2 110v circuits for outlets which I know is overkill but all my woodworking machines run on 220v. At the time I didn't realize that each 220V outlet needed its own circuit and breaker so I ended up having to put two circuits under one 30 amp breaker. I think I have three breakers with two wires under each leg. My question is what is the best way to make this pass inspection? Should I completely disable half the 220v circuits and remove the outlets and put covers over the boxes. Can I use wirenuts inside the panel and cut two small pieces of wire about 6 inches long, attach one end under the breaker and the other end to each leg of both 220V circuits?

My other concern is that I have a 100 amp breaker feeding this subpanel. Since my main panel is only 100 amp and I have a 100 amp breaking feeding it plus other circuits for the house I think I am overloaded. I wanted to install a 50 amp breaker to feed the subpanel but the 2 or 4 gauge wire is to big to fit under the 50 amp breaker screw. Can I cut some of the wires away at the end? What is the best way to resolve this other than installing 200 amp service. Not many people will need 100 amps to a garage so I would prefer to reduce the amount of power going to the garage.

Thanks for you help.

hartkem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:50 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Just having the 100a sub panel does not overload your house 100a panel
It does make it possible for you to overload it....tripping the breaker
I think most homeowners would not have the same equipment that you have installed
If you never tripped either 100a breaker I do not see any huge problem
Square D breakers are rated for 2 wires under the hot lug
What Mfg is your panel ?

As I understand it you can have multiple 240v outlets on a circuit

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:47 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,066

I assume you got no permits for what you did? Could be a problem. You don't say where in CA you live, but I grew up there (Bay Area) and in many places it's illegal to do your own electrical work even if you're getting it inspected.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:23 PM   #4

I am in the long beach area and it is legal to do you own wiring provided you are the home owner. My panel is a murray panel. I don't think you can legally have two wires under one breaker. And most people would not have the equipment that I do in the garage. So it is OK to have a 100 amp breaker feeding the sub panel with only 100 amp service coming in? Any ideas how to fix the multiple 220V circuits under one breaker in the garage?
Old 11-01-2010, 06:47 PM   #5
Chicago, IL

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartkem View Post
So it is OK to have a 100 amp breaker feeding the sub panel with only 100 amp service coming in?
As long as 1) the load-side panel ("sub-panel)" is listed for 100A or more, and 2) the feeders are appropriately sized to carry 100A over the installed distance, and 3) the breaker at the service disconnect is 100A or less, it's OK.
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:25 AM   #6

"As long as 1) the load-side panel ("sub-panel)" is listed for 100A or more, and 2) the feeders are appropriately sized to carry 100A over the installed distance, and 3) the breaker at the service disconnect is 100A or less, it's OK"

So it looks like I am ok as far as the breaker goes. What about my issue with having two wires under each leg of the 220 breakers in the garage sub panel. Can I wire nut a pigtail on so only one wire is under the screw? My other option would be to disable half the 220V outlets and just put covers over them. I don't know anyone that is going to need 6 220V outlets in the garage anyway. If the pigtail is legal I would rather do that though.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:41 AM   #7
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,000

You could also replace the subpanel with a bigger one. The subpanel can be rated for any amperage (including those greater than 100A), as long as you the wire size feeding the sub is large enough for the breaker in your main panel.

Last edited by secutanudu; 11-02-2010 at 09:37 AM.
secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:18 AM   #8
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,194

What are the sizes and brand of breakers with two conductors on them?

BTW, it's 240 volts, not 220.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:23 PM   #9

The breakers are 30 amp 240 volts murray breakers

I would prefer not to change the sub panel