Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 11:00 PM   #1
ela
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 39
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Security alarm system


There is a Honeywell security alarm system in the house, which is about 5 years old.

It is not monitored by a service and I don't even use the basic system.

The keypad has periodically beeped due to low battery and I just press a button and it stops. There is no pattern as to when it beeps, but when it does, it's quite loud and constant.

As I have other security devices for doors and windows, I would like to completely deactivate the security system as it is serving no purpose, plus someone said it's no doubt pulling some electricity which adds to the bill. (I recently unplugged my microwave because I never use it.)

Does anyone here know if this can be done and what all it involves?

Would I call an electrician to come out and do it, or do most general handyman type services know how to do this kind of thing?

Btw, I called Honeywell and they transferred me from one department to another and no one could provide information. (?)

Thank you.

ela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:21 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,497
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Security alarm system


Do you know where the control box is?

Usually in a utility room, closet, garage, etc. That would look like this...



Inside is the battery. Disconnect it.

These are powered by a plug in transformer. That would look like this...



Unplug that.

Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Billy_Bob For This Useful Post:
ela (11-12-2011)
Old 11-08-2011, 11:34 PM   #3
ela
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 39
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Security alarm system


Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_Bob View Post
Do you know where the control box is?

Usually in a utility room, closet, garage, etc. That would look like this...



Inside is the battery. Disconnect it.

These are powered by a plug in transformer. That would look like this...



Unplug that.
Hi,
Yes, the box looks very similar to that . . . but the battery is black and has two "flying leads" hooked to it, one red, one black and they are connected to the motherboard panel - or whatever you call it (?)

The battery has no plug and is labeled:
Enduring
Sealed Non Spillable
12V/4AH/20 HR

To the right of that battery, there's also what looks like a phone jack with the kind of plug that goes into a phone.
ela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:41 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,497
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Security alarm system


You can leave the phone line connected, or disconnect it after you power off the unit. Be sure your phones work after disconnecting it if you do disconnect it.

Can you pull a wire off the battery?

Those should just slide off a metal blade on the battery.

Then do you see the transformer. There may be a wire coming from the box, going down the wall to an outlet? Or going through the wall to an outlet on the other side?
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Billy_Bob For This Useful Post:
ela (11-12-2011)
Old 11-08-2011, 11:46 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,497
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Security alarm system


There should be connectors on the black and red wires at the battery which look sort of like this...




Those should slide off the battery terminals with a slight tug.
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Billy_Bob For This Useful Post:
ela (11-12-2011)
Old 11-09-2011, 12:00 AM   #6
ela
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 39
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Security alarm system


Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_Bob View Post
You can leave the phone line connected, or disconnect it after you power off the unit. Be sure your phones work after disconnecting it if you do disconnect it.
Ok, but once the system is deactivated, there's no particular reason to unplug it, correct?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_Bob View Post
Can you pull a wire off the battery?

Those should just slide off a metal blade on the battery.
Yes, the connectors look like the photo you posted and appear that they would just slide off.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_Bob View Post
Then do you see the transformer. There may be a wire coming from the box, going down the wall to an outlet? Or going through the wall to an outlet on the other side?
Ok, now on the printed diagram in the box, it shows this:
Class 2 plug-in transformer
16.5 VAC 25 VA

(and from that, there's an arrow pointing over to an outline of a plug)

To 110 VAC unswitched outlet (24 HR)


But I see no plug anywhere there in the box.

The leads on the battery are wired into the panel by the fuse.

And all the wires are gathered together and run into the wall.

Last edited by ela; 11-12-2011 at 12:12 AM. Reason: updated information
ela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:15 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,497
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Security alarm system


Right. You can leave the phone connected after powered off.

Don't disconnect the battery yet. It might start buzzing or beeping.

And the installers did a good job! They hid all the wiring including the power line....

So that transformer is somewhere plugged into an outlet. It could be anywhere. Usually in a utility room. Maybe in laundry room. Maybe near the circuit breaker panel. Maybe in basement if you have one. Hopefully not in attic!

So go hunting....

If you can, post a picture of it and description of where it is located. And a picture of the wire connecting to it. Also a picture of the wires going into the wall from the security panel. The transformer would have the same type of wire.

There are other things in a house which might also have a transformer. So we want to make sure you are unplugging the correct transformer! (Before unplugging it...)
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Billy_Bob For This Useful Post:
ela (11-12-2011)
Old 11-09-2011, 12:48 AM   #8
ela
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 39
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Security alarm system


Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_Bob View Post
Right. You can leave the phone connected after powered off.
Ok, thanks. I did notice a message on the diagram that says "disconnect the phone line at Telco jack before servicing unit". (?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_Bob View Post
Don't disconnect the battery yet. It might start buzzing or beeping.

And the installers did a good job! They hid all the wiring including the power line....

So that transformer is somewhere plugged into an outlet. It could be anywhere. Usually in a utility room. Maybe in laundry room. Maybe near the circuit breaker panel. Maybe in basement if you have one. Hopefully not in attic!

So go hunting....

If you can, post a picture of it and description of where it is located. And a picture of the wire connecting to it. Also a picture of the wires going into the wall from the security panel. The transformer would have the same type of wire.

There are other things in a house which might also have a transformer. So we want to make sure you are unplugging the correct transformer! (Before unplugging it...)

There is a white plastic box a few inches above the main box . . . it's about 3 x 6 inches, says Honeywell and has three lights, two are lit red.

Could that be where the transformer/outlet is and the wiring runs up through the wall to it - or is that for something else?

It looks like you can pry the front cover off, but don't know that I'd be comfortable doing that. I can do basic things, but anything electrical does make me nervous.
ela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:20 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 453
Rewards Points: 252
Default

Security alarm system


Billy Bob has provided excellent info to disconnect.

Alarm systems like yours actually run off the battery power. The transformer is always 'topping up' the battery, to fully charge it (if it is in good condition). Batteries can last maybe 7 years but, for peace of mind, should probably be replaced every 5 years. When the battery is failing, the alarm system is annoying, at best.

Like many things in our modern lives, there is 'vampire' power being drawn for many devices. This includes tv's, microwaves, ovens, cell phones, computers. The draw, when device is off, is considered small. For example, leaving a cell phone charger plugged in will draw small amounts of electricity whether a cell phone is connected or not.

Providing your alarm system is functional (other than a failing battery), I'd consider replacing battery. Cost should be less than $40. Internet shopping could be considerably less. Security has value (might even get a discount on your home owner insurance).

The little lights you refer to probably indicate electrical power of some kind for the alarm. 2 red lights could indicate a bad battery. If you turn off your circuit breakers one at a time, you may find that alarm is on a circuit by itself. (Lights would go out.) Turning off at main electric panel would then solve your issue.

It is excellent practice to have a 'map' of the circuits in your panel in case a breaker trips at an inopportune time or a repair has to be made.

Don't be afraid to remove cover. It's probably plastic and cannot conduct electricity. Good luck.
diyorpay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to diyorpay For This Useful Post:
ela (11-12-2011)
Old 11-09-2011, 11:53 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,497
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Security alarm system


The thing above the panel is probably an add-on module, not the transformer. The transformer will be plugged into a visible outlet and will not have any lights on it. Sort of like a cell phone charger, but larger.
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Billy_Bob For This Useful Post:
ela (11-12-2011)
Old 11-09-2011, 03:00 PM   #11
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 767
Rewards Points: 502
Default

Security alarm system


If the transformer is really hidden somewhere and you can't find it, post a good picture of the inside of the control box and one of us will tell you which wires to disconnect. You'll still want to find the transformer eventually, since it'll still be drawing a tiny bit of power as long as it's plugged in.
McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to McSteve For This Useful Post:
ela (11-12-2011)
Old 11-09-2011, 04:55 PM   #12
Electrician
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 1,148
Rewards Points: 512
Default

Security alarm system


It may not even be a plug in transformer. It could look like a doorbell transformer mounted on the side of a box near by.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to darren For This Useful Post:
ela (11-12-2011)
Old 11-12-2011, 12:23 AM   #13
ela
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 39
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Security alarm system


Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_Bob View Post



These are powered by a plug in transformer. That would look like this...



Unplug that.



Can you guys see that I'm blushing from embarrassment?











Something was propped up in the corner of the closet right by the control box . . . when I was posting here the other night, it did not even occur to me to move it . . . but I just did and lo and behold! what do you think I found?

An outlet with a plug that looks exactly like the picture above!

Ok . . . mystery solved!

Now, let me get this straight . . . to fully deactive this security system, you would:

Slide the connectors off the battery terminals

and then

Unplug the transformer


Is that it? At that point, the alarm system will be turned off?

And as you said, it is not necessary to unplug the phone jack in the control box?

And I won't need to do anything with the keypad module?

(Sure appreciate your help)
ela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:09 AM   #14
Lic Elect/Inspector/CPO
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 369
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Security alarm system


Quote:
Originally Posted by ela View Post
Can you guys see that I'm blushing from embarrassment?











Something was propped up in the corner of the closet right by the control box . . . when I was posting here the other night, it did not even occur to me to move it . . . but I just did and lo and behold! what do you think I found?

An outlet with a plug that looks exactly like the picture above!

Ok . . . mystery solved!

Now, let me get this straight . . . to fully deactive this security system, you would:

Slide the connectors off the battery terminals

and then

Unplug the transformer


Is that it? At that point, the alarm system will be turned off?

And as you said, it is not necessary to unplug the phone jack in the control box?

And I won't need to do anything with the keypad module?

(Sure appreciate your help)
Yes it will be deactvated
NJMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:17 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,497
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Security alarm system


Correct!

Good detective work finding that transformer!

Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upgrade old Rheem Split System fredm54 HVAC 7 05-15-2012 02:04 PM
DIY Home Security System (suggestions needed) tigerbalm2424 General DIY Discussions 10 06-13-2011 02:54 PM
Is 1/2 Pex more restrictive than 1/2 copper? twilightcall Plumbing 19 06-24-2008 07:32 AM
Size A/C system properly 70stang HVAC 1 03-26-2006 07:22 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.