Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2009, 10:22 AM   #1

Share |
Question

securing electrical box in block wall

Hi everyone, I'm trying to figure out how to secure existing and new electrical boxes in a slump block wall (slump blocks have the hole in the center of the block and things tend to fall in). Some of the existing holes are to big and I also want add additional boxes to the house. what should i use to secure them in place. thnx

Harrington11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:00 AM   #2

securing electrical box in block wall

For branch circuit boxes (receptacles and switches) push newspaper down in the hole and fill with mortar mix and push box in allowing it to squeeze out the sides. Clean up (smooth) excess with wet cloth or rag.

For panels it is a little harder. On new ones you can frame the opening with lumber and use screws to mount the panel from the sides. Or mount it on the surface with concrete anchors.

On existing panels wooden wedges may work. Maybe a combination of wedges and mortar mix. I'm certain the others will have some additional ideas.

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote