Securing Cables And Boxes...code? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-30-2010, 05:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 77

securing cables and boxes...code?

i have read several articles about securing ROMEX cables (12-2 or 14-2) and boxes. clarification of the following points will be appreciated.

1. cables
a. cable needs to be secured every 4'. if the cable is behind the sheetrock or a molding (which forms a raceway), does it still have to be stapled every 4'. if yes, i will hve to rip the sheetrock or the molding.

b. the cable has to be secured withing 12" of a box. if the box has a clamp at the entry point, is the securing still required?

2. Device box. Securing a device-box on a solid conduit (see diagram)...can a light box be supported solely on a solid conduit? i have to drop my outdoor flood about 8" and the simplest way i see is to attache the box at the end of the conduit. the cable is long enough so the splice-nuts will be in the light box.

thanks

add: the device here is an outdoor, plastic light fixture box.
Attached Files
File Type: doc mount-box.doc (22.5 KB, 64 views)

Advertisement

Last edited by drgkjd; 05-30-2010 at 05:51 PM. Reason: add
drgkjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

1a) If the wire is being fished down the walls, ie during a remodel, and this is not new installation, than no you do not have to support it every 4'

1b) yes it must still be secured though you can use the cable clamp to do so.

2) it's ok under a few conditions, the light must be above 8', pipe can't be longer than 1', can't weigh over 20lbs, must use threaded metallic conduit.

Advertisement

fpeftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 77

thanks for your speedy reply. looks like i will have to do some destruction/construction for 1b but i meet all the conditions the flood...that make sit easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpeftw View Post
1a) If the wire is being fished down the walls, ie during a remodel, and this is not new installation, than no you do not have to support it every 4'

1b) yes it must still be secured though you can use the cable clamp to do so.

2) it's ok under a few conditions, the light must be above 8', pipe can't be longer than 1', can't weigh over 20lbs, must use threaded metallic conduit.
drgkjd is offline   Reply With Quote