Secondary Surge Breaker Worth It? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2012, 08:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Secondary Surge breaker worth it?

Hi All,

Are the secondary surge breakers really worth getting? The Square D QO surge breaker is 57 bucks at HD. Get it or save the money?

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Advertisement

Trucon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,486

The choice is yours. Those are Primary surge protection, secondary would be a surge strip that your stuff is plugged into the wall outlet. I have one of the intermatic's on my panel. It is the best insurance out there, along with using surge strips on your appliances with electronics, and electronics.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 01-19-2012 at 07:54 AM.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

I don't know why they call that a "Secondary Surge Arrester"?

I would call it a "Whole House Surge Arrester".

In either case, the more, the merrier I say!

Also there are 240 volt appliances like range/dryer and others which can not be placed on a surge protector power strip. Yet these have electronic controls in them these days. So well worth it to protect those as well.

Also good to have good quality (big $$ warranty) surge protectors on 120 volt electronic gizmos in addition to the above.
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,616

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
The choice is yours. Those are Primary surge protection, secondary would be a surge strip that your stuff is plugged into the wall outlet. I have one of the intermatic's on my panel. It is the best insurance out there, along with using surge strips on your appliances with electronics, and electronics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_Bob View Post
I don't know why they call that a "Secondary Surge Arrester"?

I would call it a "Whole House Surge Arrester".

In either case, the more, the merrier I say!

Also there are 240 volt appliances like range/dryer and others which can not be placed on a surge protector power strip. Yet these have electronic controls in them these days. So well worth it to protect those as well.

Also good to have good quality (big $$ warranty) surge protectors on 120 volt electronic gizmos in addition to the above.
Concure with both.

One of the issues with your run of the mill power strip is that it most likely uses what is called MOV. When the voltage gets high enough (surge), if fires and shorts the ckt....typically triping the breaker...which is good....it protected the equipement downline....BUT, in most cases, once that MOV has fired....it's fried.....so the next surge will go unprotected and you have no way of really knowing if your MOV is good or not.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:16 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 726

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucon01 View Post
Hi All,

Are the secondary surge breakers really worth getting? The Square D QO surge breaker is 57 bucks at HD. Get it or save the money?

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Is your power fed overhead or underground? If underground it may not be as useful as those systems tend to have fewer transients on them. Its pretty cheap insurance though so you really can't lose.
curiousB is offline   Reply With Quote