Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2008, 03:27 PM   #1
newer than a newbie...

Share |

sealing a masonry hole for a wire

Hi All.

I basically have a large antenna for my house and when we moved in the wire only went to one side of the house (bedroom TV). I wanted to split this and have it go to the living room TV as well. So, I split the signal with a standard splitter and drilled a hole into the masonry in the basement and got the cable wire through. The problem is that the hole is a bit wider than the wire and I could see critters and of course cold air coming in in the winter time.

I'm not a 'cable guy', but what is the right caulking to apply on the outside, and also, should I use the expanding foam to spray inside where the cable runs through the drilled hole? I don't expect to move this ever, so I don't mind if it's mumified. But I do want to keep my basement/home free of cold and critters.

Thanks!

mcvane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:51 PM   #2

As long as this hole is not below grade, a good quality latex or silicone exterior painters caulk will do the job. Something that is paintable and remains flexible would be a good idea.

Squirting foam inside the annulus of the hole wouldn't hurt either. Just remember that the foam will expand like crazy as it dries.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:18 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Silicone colored the same as the morter would be the best way to go. They actually make a pass through tube for walls where Coax goes throug, so that you do not have to seal the opening.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote