Scrolling Lines On All TVs - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2007, 05:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Scrolling lines on all TVs

We have two TVs in our house, one plasma and one rear LCD projection. Until this morning we were getting white and purple lines scrolling from the bottom of the screen to the top on both TVs. It didn't matter if we were watching a DVD or Cable TV. When we turn on the washing machine or dishwasher the bands get bigger, brighter and scroll faster.

This morning the electric company came out at 8AM and turned off the electricity to the neighborhood. They dug up a few of the neighbors yards and did some repairs. 6 hours later, they finsihed the repairs and my banding is gone!

THis question is purely curiosity: what would have caused the banding this whole time?

Thanks!
Brett

Advertisement

bjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 05:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

I'm glad your problem is solved. I was just about ready to tell everyone that my son was having the same problem until I read that it was my son who was posting.

Advertisement

sluggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 05:45 PM   #3
Electrician philosopher

Rewards Points: 500

One possibility, and in my opinion the most likely, was a poor neutral tap in the POCO transformer.

POCO= power company

Andy
Andy in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:26 PM   #4

I spoke too soon - the lines are still there and scrolling.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:52 PM   #5
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,422

Are you on cable or dish?

Are your neighbors experiencing the same?
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 12:32 AM   #6

Cable. But, it will happen without the cable box connected and on a different input. I get it watching cable, DVD or playing a video game. Component and HDMI both give the same scrolling lines.

I haven't asked my neighbors if they have the problem - I'll ask around tomorrow. My wife always says I'm really picky with this stuff and other people don't notice it until I point it out. I hate to point it out if they don't know because then it will bug them!
Old 11-27-2007, 02:13 AM   #7
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,422

Could be A/c noise since it doesn't appear to be the cable signal Might have to ask the power company to recheck things only this time on your property. Also if your neighbor is close enough can you get a different power source to the tv with an extension cord or something?

Last edited by Stubbie; 11-27-2007 at 02:18 AM.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 04:33 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

What about hooking up my generator to the TV to see what happens?
sluggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 04:56 AM   #9
Electrician philosopher

Rewards Points: 500

couldn' hurt...
Andy in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:16 AM   #10
Once fried, twice shy.

Rewards Points: 250

Have these televisions always behaved like this or is the problem relatively new? I couldn't quite follow the meaning of your original post.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:39 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,008

I had similar problems with 3 TV's in my house recently. Degraded picture and lines. I have satelight. I was getting a 98% signal (excellent).
What I did was go to my satelight distributor and purchased a very good set of crimpers for the cable connectors. I also found a box full of splitters and blocks, all brand new. I also got a bag of the new type connectors. Had the Dish guy show me how to use the tool and the new connectors.
I started outside and replaced the block and all the connector ends. Then I went inside and remade all the connector ends with the new type. Every one that was not factory made. Eliminated any loops of cable. I remade the ground outside too.
It corrected the problem and now the pictures on every TV are better than ever. I actually had a bad picture when I thought it was a good one. I can see a remarkable difference.

Your problem does not sound like a power issue to me. It sounds like you need to check all the cable connections everywhere in and outside of your house. Don't climb the pole...lol You might even need an amplifier (under $25) if the TV is very far from the source.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 03:15 PM   #12

We moved to this house about 1.5 years ago. The TVs didn't act this way in our old house but have acted this way the whole time in the new house.

It's not related to the inputs on the TV or the cable company. I say this because it happens on all inputs from all my different devices.

The cable company has come out and replaced all the cables and connectors all the way to the TVs. They added an amplifier and the signal is great.

I'll try the generator and let you know what happens.

Thanks!
Old 11-28-2007, 10:24 AM   #13
Once fried, twice shy.

Rewards Points: 250

Because there are electronic devices involved & therefore a million possibilities of why you have your problem, the first thing that I would do is to test the voltage between neutral & earth. It should be less than a couple of volts, preferably 0 volts. If you have a higher voltage than this, I would look at your main neutral & earth connections in the distribution panel & also check the main earth electrode bonding point. As a more expensive option & if you have a significant earth to neutral voltage, I would check the Earth Fault Loop Impedance, which can be done by a qualified electrician.

Aside from this, the only other thing I can think of is harmonics, which are increasing everyday in every society. If the problem is harmonics, it sounds like you may be experiencing the worst type - voltage harmonics. This may be because of the neighbourhood in which you live. Is there any industry close by? What about large office blocks?

I can't see that Power Factor will cause this problem although it may be symptomatic of a bigger problem.

If this is too technical, I apologise.

Advertisement