Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2009, 01:19 AM   #1

Share |

screw down type receptacles

OK, I hope I am doing this right, are you suppose to make a J with the wire and hook it on ? It does not accept back stabbing but the strip gauge seems like it is too short to form any kind of loop to me, I stripped a little more than the gauge said.

Someone here said before to make the loop so when tightened clockwise it doesn't affect it, but there is a little nib to hold the insulation of the wire, I hope this makes sense. But to take advantage of this you have to make the hook counter clockwise.. I have done it both ways but seems like it is not going anywhere..?

I am using the cooper brand..
DIYGST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:57 AM   #2
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYGST View Post
OK, I hope I am doing this right, are you suppose to make a J with the wire and hook it on ? It does not accept back stabbing but the strip gauge seems like it is too short to form any kind of loop to me, I stripped a little more than the gauge said.

Someone here said before to make the loop so when tightened clockwise it doesn't affect it, but there is a little nib to hold the insulation of the wire, I hope this makes sense. But to take advantage of this you have to make the hook counter clockwise.. I have done it both ways but seems like it is not going anywhere..?

I am using the cooper brand..

Do you have clamp down style outlets? I suspect you do. No loops / hooks on thoses just strip insert and tighten.
Jamie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Need Help Uploading Photos?
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 02:07 AM   #3

It's new one I bought which has 2 screws on each side.. but it's not like the GFCI ones where it has a hole you insert and then tighten the screw.

I made a loop on a couple of installations, it's very secured though, any problem with this?

I had seen the previous person who lived here had one of this kind put in and it had a loop also.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:16 AM   #4

Alwass make the loop to go around the screw even if it means stripping more than the guideline suggests.

Always go clockwise.

Use a long nose pliers to get the wire tight around the screw.

Do not catch insulation under the screw.

Do not use tremendous strength tightening or you will strip the screw and will have to replace the receptacle.

Bend the wires with your fingers gradually as you stuff the receptacle or switch into the box so there is not a lot of springiness trying to push it back out.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:34 AM   #5
the Musigician

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
Always make the loop to go around the screw even if it means stripping more than the guideline suggests.
i've never seen an outlet that has a strip guide for looping? i agree with mr dolan, there are most likely square washers on the screws? strip to the length specified and slip wire under washer and tighten. do not overtighten as allanJ suggests or you'll be going back to the store for more outlets.

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:26 PM   #6
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
i've never seen an outlet that has a strip guide for looping? i agree with mr dolan, there are most likely square washers on the screws? strip to the length specified and slip wire under washer and tighten. do not overtighten as allanJ suggests or you'll be going back to the store for more outlets.

DM
I will go take some photos for you to help. Jamie

Old 02-22-2009, 01:13 PM   #7
DIY'er

This is a clamp down style outlet, you do not wrap the wires around the screws on this type of outlet.

screw down type receptacles-img_5334.jpg

You strip the wire per the strip gage like this:

screw down type receptacles-img_5337.jpg

Now you tighten down that screw:

screw down type receptacles-img_5338.jpg
screw down type receptacles-img_5342.jpg

Thats it for clamp down outlets, No loops or hooks.

Next post I will show the standard kind of outlet.

Jamie

Old 02-22-2009, 01:18 PM   #8
DIY'er

This is what regular outlets look like when you make a loop and have the screw tightened down.

screw down type receptacles-img_5345.jpg

screw down type receptacles-img_5348.jpg

I would suggest using the outlets as intended. If you use clamp downs, then do them the way you should, as I showed oyu in the previous post. I think the good quality clamp downs make a nice solid connection that is likely as good as a J-hook around the screw. The clamp downs are nothing like back stabs imo. I would not hesitate to use clamp down products the way I showed you in the photos. The good ones hold the wire very well.

I hope this was helpful to you.

Jamie

Old 02-22-2009, 01:23 PM   #9
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post

DM
No strip guide for regular outlets that I have ever seen. I tend to strip it long, make the wrap around the screw, twist the very end of it up with a long nose pliers, snip it with a sharp snips, then bend it back in so it is a really tight loop around the screw. Takes too much time to do if your on the job, but for a diy, no reason not to spend the time doing it. I am fast and keep all my tools on me in my 35pound tool pouch. ( I don't really know what it weighs, but it is heavy. about 5 screwdrivers, and 9 other pliers, snips, strippers,crimpers, etc.

Jamie

Old 02-22-2009, 02:17 PM   #10

Thanks for the pictures, I do have the wrap around type (20Amp receptacle) it came with the screws threaded far out, don't remember seeing holes on the back.

Does have strip gauge, oh well. The only boo boo is I made the loop counter clockwise, but I looked at one done by a electrician was also counter clockwise, my loop conforms to the screw better, actually.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:20 PM   #11
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYGST View Post
Thanks for the pictures, I do have the wrap around type (20Amp receptacle) it came with the screws threaded far out, don't remember seeing holes on the back.

Does have strip gauge, oh well. The only boo boo is I made the loop counter clockwise, but I looked at one done by a electrician was also counter clockwise, my loop conforms to the screw better, actually.
Then your doing fine. If you make your loop really nice and tight, it's not really going to matter what direction it is on, imo. I'd try to get it the right way though if you can.

Jamie