Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2013, 01:26 AM   #1
Retired from the grind

Share |

Schneider Electric recal

This is from the third of this month (I know, late to the party), but still needs to be out there:

Recall Summary

Name of product:
APC SurgeArrest surge protectors

Hazard:
The surge protectors can overheat, smoke and melt, posing a fire hazard.

Remedy:
View DetailsReplaceConsumer Contact:
Schneider Electric IT Corp., toll-free at (888) 437-4007 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, or online at http://recall.apc.com, or www.apc.com and click on the Recall link to submit a claim and obtain more information.

Report an Incident Involving this Product
Recall Details

Units

About 15 million
Description

This recall involves APC 7 and 8 series SurgeArrest surge protectors manufactured before 2003. The model and serial numbers are located on a label on the bottom of the surge protector. The two numbers that follow the first letter or letters in the serial number sequence indicate the year of manufacture. The unit is included in the recall if the numbers are 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01 or 02. APC and the words Personal, Professional, Performance or Network are printed on the surge protectors. The following model numbers are included in this recall.

7 Series model numbers
8 Series model numbers
NET7
NET8
NET7T
NET8N
NET7T-C
PER8T
PER7
PER8TR
PER7C
PER8TR-CN
PER7T
PER8TVR
PER7T-CO
PER8XTV
PER7T-U
PRF8T2
PER7TX137
PRF8TT
PER7-U
PRO8
PER7X148
PRO8T2
PRF7
PRO8T2C
PRF7T
PRO8T2MP12
PRO7
PRO8T2MP12B
PRO7C
PRO8TV
PRO7T

PRO7TX183

Incidents/Injuries

The firm has received 700 reports of the surge protectors overheating and melting and 55 claims of property damage from smoke and fire, including $916,000 in fire damage to a home and $750,000 in fire damage to a medical facility. There are 13 reports of injuries, including smoke inhalation and contact burns from touching the overheated surge protectors.
Remedy

Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled surge protectors, unplug them and contact Schneider Electric for a free replacement surge protector.
Sold at

Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA, and other stores nationwide from January 1993 through December 2002 for between $13 and $50.
Manufacturer

American Power Conversion (APC), now known as Schneider Electric IT Corp., of West Kingston, R.I.
Manufactured in

China, Philippines

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2014/...ge-Protectors/

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:28 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Schneider Electric recal

There was also a recall from 9/12/13 for ceiling mounted fixtures from Dolan Designs. http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2013/...Dolan-Designs/

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote