Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2011, 11:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Schlumberger Meter Removal

Can anybody tell me how to remove the new digital Schlumberger electric meters? I've removed the old glass spinners but this new one is slightly tamper resistant and I do not want to break it. I need to redo some of my panel and do not want it hot.

Dieselman959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:05 AM   #2
Sparky

Rewards Points: 504

the actual meters come out the same way, but HO's are not allowed inside the meter can, you need to call your POCO

Techy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:20 AM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,344

I am sure that if you call your power company first, that they will be glad to show up. First thing they will do, is ask why you are calling them, and next will be, that they will not show back up to hook it back up, until you get a permit for the work. Last will be the bill for their service.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:05 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

I'm already in the can, just don't know how to pull off the meter. I called POCO and they said ok to pull meter but must call them to reseal. Done this at least 30 times before but with the glass spinners, these newer ones I have not pulled and they are all plastic, just don't want to break it.
Dieselman959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:53 AM   #5
Sparky

Rewards Points: 504

it uses the exact same base as the old glass spinners, it pulls out
Techy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:06 PM   #6
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

There is one serious warning here if you ever have to pull the meter socket out for some reason make sure you turn off the main breaker if it have.

They genrally are not rated to make or break under pretty good load if that the case you may see arc flash over a bit during pull out.

I have see arc flashover when I yank out the meter with pretty good load on it. { 480Y277 volts are worst they will do it no question asked ditto with our 415Y240 system in France }

I rather have POCO come out and deal with it due they do have one specail tool to remove the meter in a safe way and I do have that tool on hand with me.

Note to the DIYS .,, generally the safest way it remove the meter socket is have the POCO deal with it due some of the meters may have bypass lever in there and some are bolt on type which it will be a royal pain in butt and I have couple meter actually blow up on me { don't ask me why on this one but I walk away with few cuts on my face }{ we the electricians will know the result of this so few electricians in this fourm will echo simair comment as mine }

Merci,
Marc

gregzoll (09-19-2011)