Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2008, 10:13 AM   #1
the Musigician

Share |
Question

scared to call the inspector...did I err?

my inspector had me draft up a 'to do' list of the procedural order planned to build this new dining room addition. at the end i added "pre-wiring will occur at this time". i have the interior (mostly) and exterior walls up now and have installed outlets (all 15a gfci) and run wire (12/2) with staples securing approx. every 12" all to/above code. I have the building permit, but does that cover the electric i've put in or is he going to fine me for jumping the gun? that IS on the paperwork he asked me for...(but did he actually READ it?) it's kinda hard to get the walls ready without the electric installed. i have left everything open and 'hanging' for him to see all the wiring and outlets before they are sealed to the walls. the electric will NOT be connected at this time, just the pre-wiring has been done and i want to finish the drywalling, floors, etc. did I err?

tnkx!
DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:46 AM   #2
Electrical Contractor

The building permit does not cover any electrical work.
Pull an electrical permit.
Install all receptacle, switch boxs, and light fixture boxes.
Insall all wiring.
Call for a rough-in inspection before you install any wall covering.
After you pass the rough-in and your building inspections, you can install your wall covering.
hpp58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:41 PM   #3

Also don't forget to call for an insulation inspection after your mechanicals are roughed in.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:10 PM   #4

It comes down to what your permit is for, not what your list said. That permit is the binding document. If it didn't involve electric, you need to add electric to the existing permit or pull a separate permit for the electrical work. My suggestion would be to not have the wall inspected until you have the correct permits...Hint-hint.

Honestly, if they permitted an addition to your home, a separate electrical permit should not be required. The building permit should cover all trades since electrical is required in the walls to meet the minimum receptacle spacing requirements, etc.

Most cities will want to look at all the electric rough wiring, framing, and plumbing in one inspection before the walls are covered. As 47_47 stated, some (not all) cities require an insulation/envelope inspection.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:24 PM   #5
the Musigician

i THINK you are correct kctermite, i actually got a phone call today, but his cell cut in and out, so i still have no answer... lol
will know tomorrow, i guess.

tnkx!
DM
Old 07-30-2008, 04:24 PM   #6

In most cases inspectors really don't mind if you have questions. However, once they see new outlets, they'll enjoy making you rip down your walls. Do it right the first time. CALL THEM
peciousroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:11 PM   #7
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post

Honestly, if they permitted an addition to your home, a separate electrical permit should not be required. The building permit should cover all trades since electrical is required in the walls to meet the minimum receptacle spacing requirements, etc.
Huh? A building permit is for the building, as in structure. If there is electrical to be installed, there needs to be an electrical permit and if there is plumbing or HVAC, a mechanical permit. I have never worked anywhere that allowed electrical or mechanical on the building permit.

Where I live, each of those inspectors are seperate people. You must call each of them for the appropriate inspection.

dangermouse, a call to the building department is all it takes to find out what permits you must have. Not a big deal. In my area, if you had a building permit but not an electrical or mechanical permit and the building inspector came out and saw electrical, plumbing, or HVAC, it would not be a huge deal. You would be informed what permits were needed and to procure the requisite permits and have the work inspected.

It's when you try to hide something that generally pisses them off.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:52 PM   #8
the Musigician

Smile

you are correct nap, building inspector FINALLY got back to me and gave me the elec. insp. guy's # so tomorrow i call and get that permit and get the roughin inspection. wish me luck! i THINK i did it all beyond code, so there should be no problems.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:14 PM   #9

Nap,

Yes, in many areas there are separate inspectors for each trade. But that is not the case in just as many areas, including many major cities. Here, the vast majority of cities and counties have combination inspectors...Such as myself...Who inspect all trades and all phases of construction. Along the same lines, a building permit (residential or commercial) often encompasses all trades, and separate permits for separate trades are not required. That's the case in most jurisdictions in this area, although different jurisdictions across the country have the right to do it the way they choose.

I shouldn't have made the assumption that the OP's inspector would be a combination inspector, or that their building permit would be all-encompassing of all trades. But, fact is...There was no way for me OR YOU to know how his particular jurisdiction operates.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:25 PM   #10
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Those guys (inspectors)always scared me in the early days of my career, I used to be really intimidated by them...now I just realize that they all are just envious of the greatest inspector of them all.....can anybody guess who that might be....
Here is a hint.......
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie View Post
Those guys (inspectors)always scared me in the early days of my career, I used to be really intimidated by them...now I just realize that they all are just envious of the greatest inspector of them all.....can anybody guess who that might be....
Here is a hint.......
Now Stubbie, be nice!

I never understood the intimidation that some people feel. But I do see it on a fairly regular basis. I'm 33, and I get a lot of 60 year old men calling me "sir" during inspections. Something's wrong with that! I always give a handshake and my name, and tell them not to call me sir anymore!

Last edited by Termite; 07-30-2008 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:41 PM   #12
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Seemed like a good point in the thread to interject a little factual information..... BTW this is the new form of transportation our local city Isp's are getting first of the year.....gas prices ya know....
Old 07-30-2008, 11:56 PM   #13
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Quote:
I never understood the intimidation that some people feel. But I do see it on a fairly regular basis. I'm 33, and I get a lot of 60 year old men calling me "sir" during inspections. Something's wrong with that! I always give a handshake and my name, and tell them not to call me sir anymore!
Yeah it must be the dang badge...seriously.....

The only inspectors that I have ever really had issues with were home inspectors hired by realtorsbuyers. I never really ever meet them just fix the stuff they write up on a home. those that I have met are generally very well trained and well deserving but then there is always that one that gets under my skin ...... like the one that reprimanded me yesterday for installing a gfci in place of a 2 prong outlet in a 60 year old home. Said it wasn't grounded.. I said yeah I know that's why I put the blue label on the cover plate so you would notice.....jeez

Last edited by Stubbie; 07-31-2008 at 12:27 AM.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:55 AM   #14
Licensed electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
It comes down to what your permit is for, not what your list said. That permit is the binding document. If it didn't involve electric, you need to add electric to the existing permit or pull a separate permit for the electrical work. My suggestion would be to not have the wall inspected until you have the correct permits...Hint-hint.

Most cities will want to look at all the electric rough wiring, framing, and plumbing in one inspection before the walls are covered. As 47_47 stated, some (not all) cities require an insulation/envelope inspection.
At least here the building permit does NOT cover any of the trades. Each trade pulls a separate permit at additional cost to the building permit pulled by the general.
Jim Port is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:09 AM   #15

I'm with you on that one Stubbie. I've had a number of pre-purchase inspectors follow me around on final inspections to see what I'm looking at. One guy actually had the nerve to sheepishly come up to me and quietly ask what I'd found so far, and if he could borrow my list to compare to his. I told him it was public record, but he'd need to go to city hall to file an open-records request. The shame is that the guy probably was charging those people $300-400.

My experience with those guys is that a lot of them are in the pockets of the real estate agents, and will find just enough to make it look like they're doing something. But, they often seem to miss the big things that might actually jeapordize the sale for the real estate agent. When my friends are buying homes, I always recommend that they hire someone other than the inspector the real estate agent recommends. There are good pre-purchase inspectors out there however.

By the way, I don't think that's a listed installation of a ceiling fan on Inspector Gadget's head.