Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2011, 02:28 PM   #1
dIYHell

Share |

satisfying outdoor lighting code

I know building reqiuirements are differnet in other locations but my building code requires that I have a motion activated light outside to satisfy my final permit. My electrician just told me to replace the porch light with a motion sensor one to satisfy codes and swap it back afterwards, this seems to common practice in my area for all remodels to satisfy the flourecnet kitchlights requirement as well.

The question is I have two porch lights and 2 lights on my garage on same switch. Do you think they care that all the lights are on the same circuit or do they just see you have a motion sensor as one one of the lights and call that good knowing full well your going to replace it once you pass the inspection anyway.

rocketdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:43 PM   #2

Outdoor lighting codes can be a challenge. We deal with strict codes in Park City Utah.

Utah Lighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:58 PM   #3
dIYHell

I ended up putting a motion sensor for multipe lights below one of the exterior sconces. My electrician wired the lights properly in series so it works on all the lights. During the final the inspector didn't even check for that, all she seem to really care about was that I had smoke detectors in every room. I very glad I didn't it anyone since my wife never leaves the light on for me when I get home after dark and now the lights come on in the evening at 50% automatically .
rocketdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote