Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-08-2008, 09:49 AM   #1

Share |

Same Circuit: Range Hood, DW, and GD?

Can I combine the dishwasher (DW), garbage disposal (GD), and range hood on the same 20 amp circuit. I've seen several posts that say it's ok to combine the DW and GD, but I'm not sure about adding the range hood. The range hood is a Bosch 36 inch model that mounts to the wall. I'm not sure what it calls for in terms of demand (I don't have the manual in front of me at the moment). In terms of usage, the DW is turned on when I go to bed, so the appliances that might be on at the same time would be the GD and range hood, and that would only be occassionally.
Thanks in advance for your advice.

atty_toconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:06 AM   #2

No. Put the GD and the DW on seperate 20 amp circuits. Use 12/3 to one outlet box under the sink. Use one wire for the GD and the other for the DW. Share the neutral and break the tab on the receptacle to seperate top and bottom outlets. I believe the breaker will need a tie handle?
The DW must have a disconnect unless it has a cord and plug.
Put the range hood with the microwave circuit if you have one.

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:04 PM   #3
Licensed Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
Put the GD and the DW on seperate 20 amp circuits.
Why would you do that?
jrclen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:26 PM   #4
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by atty_toconnor View Post
Can I combine the dishwasher (DW), garbage disposal (GD), and range hood on the same 20 amp circuit. I've seen several posts that say it's ok to combine the DW and GD, but I'm not sure about adding the range hood. The range hood is a Bosch 36 inch model that mounts to the wall. I'm not sure what it calls for in terms of demand (I don't have the manual in front of me at the moment). In terms of usage, the DW is turned on when I go to bed, so the appliances that might be on at the same time would be the GD and range hood, and that would only be occassionally.
Thanks in advance for your advice.

If the Range Hood is cord-and-plug connected then it must be supplied by an individual branch circuit.

I would still supply it with a individual branch circuit just in case in the future you want a micro unit, and keep the DW and Disposal on a 20 amp circuit.
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:43 PM   #5

i jus finished routing all my cables through my attic and walls and turns out to be really easy, even though im only 13 i still managed to do it in less thatn 3 hours, i routed 4 speaker cables for my surround sound system, rerouted my cable to the other wall, and added another outlest for my entertainment system.if you need help routing your cables just ask me and ill reply in less thatn 5 mins. im pretty happy with the cable because i routed it around teh house instead of through parralel with power cabes which make interference, i also routed it under the insulation, and iw as also jus expirementing to see if i would be able to rotue through an existing exterior wall... well turns out i finished it in the same day as i biekd to ace hardware to spend all my cash on speaker wire.. lol rep back if you need help.
cannouu is offline   Reply With Quote