Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2008, 03:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Safe way to connect pins?

I have two pins, they're set about a 1/4 inch apart (and run parallel to each other). My question is, how do I connect them without creating an electrical/fire hazard? This is the way I would do this: Create a bridge between the two pins by wrapping some copper cable around them, then solder the unit solid, wrap it in some electrical tape and done.

Ultimate_balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:04 AM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,020

What are pins?

Old 08-19-2008, 07:05 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 502
Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

I am assuming this is on those 18watt fluorescent bulbs the op is attempting to hook up. There really is no safe way to do that with out getting the sockets for them. Why are you trying so hard to use these bulbs when you don't have the sockets? Did you just get a ton of them for free or what?
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:27 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,002

"Why are you trying so hard to use these bulbs when you don't have the sockets? Did you just get a ton of them for free or what?"
lol
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:17 PM   #5
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,020

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatretch85 View Post
I am assuming this is on those 18watt fluorescent bulbs the op is attempting to hook up. There really is no safe way to do that with out getting the sockets for them. Why are you trying so hard to use these bulbs when you don't have the sockets? Did you just get a ton of them for free or what?
I agree!

Get the right damn parts or scrap the whole project.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:02 PM   #6

Wink

exactly, i got a ton of em free and im just looking to use em so i don't have to waste money on buying new conventional bulbs. i went around most hardware stores like an idiot trying to look for the 4 pin socket, but nobody seems to have it so DIY!
Old 08-19-2008, 07:33 PM   #7

So you'd rather create a fire hazard than spend the money on some can lights and just be done with it? I think spend the money on some real lights now would be better and less expensive than re-building a new house!

Really, like Speedy Petey said, if you don't have the right parts, just scrap the project. Is it really worth it to use free lights? Lights that you didn't have to pay for in the first place? It would cost you more time and money to screw around with these bulbs than to just put in real fixtures.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:31 AM   #8

Thumbs up

you're right guys, its not worth the risk... i can still use the ballasts though, i am changing my bulbs to the longer fluorescent tube (this one comes with a lampholder and they're pretty common to find).
Old 08-20-2008, 08:04 AM   #9
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_balance View Post
exactly, i got a ton of em free and im just looking to use em so i don't have to waste money on buying new conventional bulbs. i went around most hardware stores like an idiot trying to look for the 4 pin socket, but nobody seems to have it so DIY!
Look for them on the internet. If there is a lamp manufactured, there is also a socket manufactured to use with it.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrclen View Post
Look for them on the internet. If there is a lamp manufactured, there is also a socket manufactured to use with it.
I know the screw in bases with the removable/replaceable bulbs are no longer sold in stores. You can only get the replacement bulbs, so good luck finding the sockets (the screw in bases use a similar bulb plug-in). I will assume that these bulbs you are trying to use were meant to be used with screw in bases.

I assume there must be some sort of safety issue that they have stopped selling the screw-in bases. That or they just want you to replace the whole thing with an integrated bulb and base design.

Personally I will never use fluorescent bulbs in any location other than a garage or workshop. They don't belong in the house in a living space. Use standard incandescent lights or halogen bulbs, led bulbs have their place too. Led bulbs are so much more energy efficient and are not nearly as dangerous to dispose of after the 100,000 hour life span.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:39 PM   #11
Electrician's Helper

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via AIM to Pudge565

Quote:
I know the screw in bases with the removable/replaceable bulbs are no longer sold in stores. You can only get the replacement bulbs, so good luck finding the sockets (the screw in bases use a similar bulb plug-in). I will assume that these bulbs you are trying to use were meant to be used with screw in bases.

I assume there must be some sort of safety issue that they have stopped selling the screw-in bases. That or they just want you to replace the whole thing with an integrated bulb and base design.

Personally I will never use fluorescent bulbs in any location other than a garage or workshop. They don't belong in the house in a living space. Use standard incandescent lights or halogen bulbs, led bulbs have their place too. Led bulbs are so much more energy efficient and are not nearly as dangerous to dispose of after the 100,000 hour life span.

Hate be the one to burst your bubble but congress has passed a law that makes iit illegal to manufacture/sell/buy incandesant bulbs. i beleive it takes effect in 2014 i could be wrong on the year tho. so youll have to get used to cfls.
Pudge565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:50 PM   #12

Hmm, suppose I need to stock up now then! I'd probably re-wire the house to Low Voltage lighting and go with LED's. It would be a hellva lot more energy efficient with the Low Voltage LED lights, plus can use solar panels to charge battery banks and could take that load off the grid. I still will not buy fluorescents for any living space inside my own home; I refuse to use them.

What doesn't make sense is that the flourescents do burn out eventually and must be disposed of properly. The disposal of the CFLs alone is bad for the environment, the only plus side they have is the low energy consumption (and therefore less heat produced).
Old 08-20-2008, 06:43 PM   #13
Electrician's Helper

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via AIM to Pudge565

yea well its the government so what do u expect they don't think anything through.
Pudge565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:17 PM   #14
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudge565 View Post
Hate be the one to burst your bubble but congress has passed a law that makes iit illegal to manufacture/sell/buy incandesant bulbs. i beleive it takes effect in 2014 i could be wrong on the year tho. so youll have to get used to cfls.
you might want to research that pudge. From what I have read is the gov is mandating that all lamps have to be more energy efficient by that time. They have not outlawed incandescents per se. There is at least one manufacturer that has an incandescent lamp that will be ready by then that will surpass the energy requirements so the glow wire lights aren't dead yet.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:20 PM   #15
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
What doesn't make sense is that the flourescents do burn out eventually and must be disposed of properly. The disposal of the CFLs alone is bad for the environment, the only plus side they have is the low energy consumption (and therefore less heat produced).
it is not the matter of heat but a fluorescent lamp produces more lumens per watt. So , what you have is the same amount of light with less energy input.

as to the mercury; they are working on reducing that as much as possible. It is a lot less used now than once was already and they are working on reducing it more.

nap is offline   Reply With Quote