DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

safe way to add extension to power cord

7K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Stubbie 
#1 ·
My 50inch plasma is mounted above the fireplace. The power cord (connects from the back of the plasma to the monster surge) is 6.6 feet long. The manual suggests that I don't use any other power cord except for the one that came with my Pioneer Plasma.
The problem is that the power cord comes out only 3 inches from the wall. I have to push my monster surge protector almost against the wall and all the other cords for AVs are packed behind the wall.

I need to extend the power cord just a little bit more.

Is it safe to add a very short extension cord (about a foot if they have it) to the end of the power cord so I don't have to have my monster surge right up against the wall?

If it is not safe or recommended for the above, would it be safe to plug the cord onto a slim power surge and rest it on the cabinet glass instead of the floor?

Or should I forget the precaution from Pioneer electronics and look for a 7 foot power cord for my plasma?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.