Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-13-2012, 10:59 AM   #1

Share |

Safe to remove extra wires?

we bought a 70' mobile home a few months ago, and we recently started fixing it up to live in it. i took a look inside the breaker panel, and noticed four 14/2 wires that were disconnected. I looked under the trailer (actually attempting to inspect the amount of insulation remaining) and found four 14/2 wires hanging out of tiny holes in the floor, not attached to anything. I am 95% sure these are the same wires, and probably connected an outdoor addition at one time, such as a shed or something. Is it safe to just remove these wires? i dont think it is safe to leave them just laying there like that, but i dont mess with electrical too much. What do you think?
firsttimeremode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #2

Tape over their ends, each wire end in a separate tape wrapping.

Leave them there for future use.

If and when you prove which wire end hanging down below the floor corresponds with which end hanging loose in the panel, label them. You would use a continuity tester or ohmmeter together with a long length of extra wire to conduct the necessary tests.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimeremode View Post
we bought a 70' mobile home a few months ago, and we recently started fixing it up to live in it. i took a look inside the breaker panel, and noticed four 14/2 wires that were disconnected. I looked under the trailer (actually attempting to inspect the amount of insulation remaining) and found four 14/2 wires hanging out of tiny holes in the floor, not attached to anything. I am 95% sure these are the same wires, and probably connected an outdoor addition at one time, such as a shed or something. Is it safe to just remove these wires? i dont think it is safe to leave them just laying there like that, but i dont mess with electrical too much. What do you think?
If there nt live just put them in a j-box and wire cap them, you never know when you may need them