Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-21-2012, 09:54 PM   #1

Share |

Safe to plug washer into bathroom GFCI outlet?

Hello, in my condo I have one of those combo top/bottom washer/dryers in my bathroom. It has a single 220 plug. I want to get rid of it. My bathroom currently has a 220 outlet (for the combo) and a standard GFCI outlet by the vanity (about 3 feet away).

I want to get a stacked washer and dryer. The dryer can plug into the existing 220. How unsafe would it be to plug the washer into the GFCI? That outlet is obviously meant for razors, hair dryers, etc. since it's not directly under the 220, and I obviously wouldn't run anything while the washer is going.

Is this a major no-no? And is it "up to code"? What does that really mean in this case? Where you plug your washer in is your business, not anyone else's, right? If I sold my condo, I'd be taking my new washer/dryer with me, so why would anyone care?

rajpram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:07 PM   #2
Electrician

Yes it would work, but technically it's a code violation. The laundry is to have at least one 20A circuit for the purpose of laundry, not to be shared with other areas.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:38 AM   #3
JOATMON

Stacked unit? I would have assumed that the stack would have had just the one outlet....in other words, the washer would tap into the same ckt as the dryer.

Otherwise, what SD515 stated is correct.

Bottom line...if you sell...as long as the bathroom has that dedicated 20a ckt....your good....you could have 20 240Vac ckts in the bathroom if you wanted....(but I would like to see the load center for that one)

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:20 AM   #4

Sorry, I misspoke. "Stackable", not "stacked". In other words, two separate units, two separate plugs. What I have is "stacked", what I want to buy is "stackable".

My tiny condo is probably a special case since "laundry area" and "bathroom" are the same? And I just checked ... never noticed this before, but the GFCI does have the 20a notch in it. So as long as I can count my bathroom as my laundry area, I should be good! Even though I'm going to have an ugly washer power cord laying across my vanity :P
rajpram is offline   Reply With Quote