Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #1

Share |

Safe/Legal placement of 220V for stove

Please do not take offense, but I bought a "master-electrician's" house, which he and his construction buddies build in 3 days in 1979. OMG! In 25 years of doing reno's I have never seen so many code violations in one house. However, this one has me stumped because I've never had to deal with this.

He put the 220V for the stove in the share wall with the bath. The metal receptacle box is exposed to the underside of the bath, right next to the drains. Common sense tells me that you just don't do that! However, he maintains that this is "legal". Since I can't afford to buy the Canadian/Quebec Electrical Code book, I can't seem to find an answer.

My other problem here, is if I can not leave it there, where can I put it? I can't really move the stove due to the layout of the kitchen, therefore I need to know if it can be surface mounted on the kitchen side of the wall, or can it be flushed mounted in the floor (doesn't seem like a good idea to me if there is a water spill in the kitchen). Note the cable, it's older than the house! He scrounged cable from his work to build his house, I have at least 6 different types of electrical cable in this house, and I have found 10 junction boxes in the basement ceiling with no covers, not attached to the joists and some with 5 and 6 cables.

I have also considered building a water tight enclosure around the box, but I don't know if that would be legal either. Due to all the water damage, this wall, the floor and ceiling has to be torn down and rebuilt, therefore I will have to replace this connection with brand new materials, so I have an opportunity to make if safe/legal!
Attached Images

Last edited by CanadianEh; 03-23-2013 at 10:58 AM. Reason: upate last statement
CanadianEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
Licensed Electrician

I don't see a problem.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
jbfan (03-23-2013), stickboy1375 (03-24-2013)
Old 03-23-2013, 12:04 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

I know you may think it is wrong, but if the drain leaks, you have other problems to worry about than the electrical boxes under the tub.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:07 PM   #4
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianEh View Post
The metal receptacle box is exposed to the underside of the bath, right next to the drains. Common sense tells me that you just don't do that!
Tell me why you think this is.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:07 PM   #5
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post
I don't see a problem.
None whatsoever.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #6
JOATMON

The only 'potential' thing I see is that it looks like you have SO cord going into that box.

As for location....it's in a box....if water gets up to the level of that box you have bigger issues than the location of the box.

If it was against code, then you wouldn't be seeing outlets under your sink for the disposal and dishwasher.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
The only 'potential' thing I see is that it looks like you have SO cord going into that box.

As for location....it's in a box....if water gets up to the level of that box you have bigger issues than the location of the box.

If it was against code, then you wouldn't be seeing outlets under your sink for the disposal and dishwasher.

Yes, the house is full of SO wire, it's dry, brittle and frayed in many places (many places where there is no reason for it to be frayed). As well, most of the cables, including the newer romex, is pinched so tightly by the cable tacks that the sheathing is split or torn.

As for the location, it was under a metal tub, the water was coming in via the stove vent running all over it and on to the floor below. It really wouldn't take much water to create a potential electrical shock to anybody taking a bath.

As for the whether it's against code, that was the point of the question. There is obviously more risk to having an electrical outlet under a metal tub then under a sink, and any power going to a hot tub or jacuzzi has GFI breakers whereas the 220V for the stove does not.

I just need to be sure that when the inspector comes by, he won't object to the location of the outlet.

Thanks,

Cheers, Pat...
Old 03-24-2013, 08:15 AM   #8
Licensed Electrician

The location is fine. The SO is not.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
CanadianEh (03-24-2013), Speedy Petey (03-24-2013)
Old 03-24-2013, 08:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post
The location is fine. The SO is not.
Ok, thanks. I fully intend on replacing all the SO cable in the house. All my baseboard heating in on the same type. The cable for the water heater was melting when the tank failed (it was a unit he scrounged from the electrical company when they closed and held in his basement until he needed a replacement, it was dated Dec 1979).

Cheers, Pat...