Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2012, 01:03 AM   #1

Share |

Safe to install new outlet without connecting ground directly to outlet?

Tearing out a wall cabinet uncovered a hole in the wall which I think I can install an outlet on. The problem is that the ground wires are to short to pull out far enough to attach to the outlet.

However, the box in the wall is metal, so there should still be an path to the ground from the outlet right? Or is there something special about the green screw on the outlet which makes that the only safe spot to attach the ground to?

box I uncovered:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-v...s538/photo.jpg

fuzzy picture of the inside of the box showing the ground being attached to metal box:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-B...303_154810.jpg

The outlet I want to install... (although I dont know how to pick the right outlet based on the limited info on the wiring I have, so any help with that would also be appreciated):
http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-...&storeId=10051
charliebarkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:35 AM   #2
Licensed Electrician

Do you want this recept? If not, just put a blank plate over it.

If you do, look for a self-grounding tamper-resistant recept.
k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:44 AM   #3
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

If youre going to install a plug in that metal box you could bond the ground wire to box with a ground screw then run a ground wire from that point to your plug if theres room in the box.
Or you could possibly just install a gfi plug ,again if theres enough room in the box for it.

Posting from a concrete bunker under a non descript barn
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:45 AM   #4

The ground to the receptacle does not affect functionality of the receptacle. But think of the ground as an airbag in a vehicle. If you need the airbag in a vehicle you are going to hope it is there. Same as ground on a device. If you need the ground fault, you are going to hope it is there.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:57 AM   #5

Wire nut on an extra length of wire to reach the green screw on the receptacle with.

The metal box also needs to be grounded, for example:
1. The extra length is long enough to be looped around a screw at the back of the box and still come out to reach the green screw on the receptacle,
2. You wire nut on two such pigtails, one for the receptacle green screw and the other to attach to the box,
3. You get a clip specifically for the purpose and squash that between the receptacle frame (yoke) and where it screws onto the end of the box.
4. You get a clip specifically for the purpose and hold the ground wire somewhere on the rim of the box.

A screw at the back of the box holding a wire clamp that doesn't go all the way down against the box without squashing the cables may not be used to hold on a ground wire.

A ground wire or strip that runs lengthwise against the inside of flexible metal conduit and outside any paper wrapping within does not have to come out far enough to be connected to boxes or green screws when the boxes at both ends are metal. But the receptacle needs to be bonded to the box using a pigtail or a clip.

If the ground wire end is much too short, I would consider making a tight spiral at one end of a pigtail, pressing that over and the ground wire end, and soldering it.

Last edited by AllanJ; 04-16-2012 at 10:09 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #6
Licensed Pro

self grounding receptacle