DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

is this safe and how do i do it.

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  dmxtothemax 
#1 ·
Ok what I am doing is trying to use some rarely used breakers in the box to wire up a SAFE but temp hardwired "Extension Cord" to the 30 amp breakers for my AC and Dryer. I have three computer christmas light controllers that have 15Amp 120V Input cords comming from them. I WANT to make 2 independant 15 amp recepticals from each 30 amp breaker. Now without switching out the 30amp breaker can I just add a hot wire to one side and make it 15 amps or do I have to pull the 30 amp breaker and put in 2 15 amp breakers. The wire comming out will be rated at 15 amps. I am going to either buy a 15amp extension cord and cut the male end off or buy home electrical wire and wire a portable 4 Independent Recpticals. Which is the best way to go about this?? I had an electrician come out and he said he could do it for 150 bucks. BUUUT It just seems so simple. I know the basics I just need to know if I can leave the 30 amp breaker on there and use one side for one receptical and the other side for another receptical. Is that safe? In not I will pull the breaker and put two 15 amp breakers in. But I am only a renter and I do NOT want to change anything. I want it TEMPORARY you know wire it up for christmas and pull the wires like it was never there. Now the A/C will not be used at all. AND the dryer will only be used while the lights are off.

#2 ·
Ok again I asked you this cause I know enough to NOT kill me. The Controllers are only rated for 15 amps per cord so I am sure I wont go that high. Last year I only went to 10 amps on two cords and 12 on another. I am having pretty much the same show. So can I take a 15 amp rated extension cord, cut the male end off of it and put the black wire to one side of the breaker, the white to the buss bar and the green to the ground and essentially have a 15 amp outlet and do the same and have two "15 amp" Outlets off that one 30 amp breaker. OR should I take 12 Gauge wire and do the same and wire up a receptical box with 4 independent 15 amp recepticals.

#5 ·
Not to be a grinch, but, as a renter, the only option that I can see is to identify three existing receptacles on three separate circuits within your residence, and purchase properly sized extension cords to reach from them to the desired points of use. Anything else could very possibly cause you to have to share your Christmas cookies with your landlord and the fire department.

#9 ·
Because I like to get second opinions that's why this forum exists right. DIY. If everyone KNEW how to do stuff it wouldn't be here. That's why I put it SEEMS so easy...I wasn't sure but thanks for wasting your time to submit a usless comment. I'm sure your advice would be helpful somewhere else.

#8 ·
I obviously came a little confusing. I know enough about electricity to not kill myself. I posted to seek guidance. I was unsure cause I was told I could just use the 30amp breaker. It didn't sound right so here I am getting a second opinion. As for the renting question. I have already received permission to do this temporary change to the system by my landlord because he is a buddy I work with. I live in a very small town in georgia and work is hard to find. So I had a feeling I was being ripped off by the electrician. Since the majority of the advice here was just the oposite and it was someone just speaking their mind thanks to the ones with advice. I am just going to do what the electrician was gonna rape me for. Replace the 30amp with 2 15 amp breakers and temporaraly hardwire some independant outlets. Thanks for the help anyways I will have this thread deleted.

#11 ·
The only way you can connect either one or two 15 amp leads to
a 30 amp breaker is they MUST go thru a 15 amp breaker.
You can get two 15 amp leads and wire each lead thru a 15 amp
breaker and then to the 30 amp supply.
It can be in a seperate box,
with suitable 30 amp wire on the input side.
This way it can be easily removed when finished.
DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES CONNECT A 15 AMP LEAD TO A 30 AMP SUPPLY WITHOUT A 15A BREAKER.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.