Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-02-2011, 04:30 PM   #1

Share |

Safe Amps/Volts?

Is 15v-2a safe even if it was to be touched while energized?

I know its current (amps) that do the damage, but you need voltage to get it through the skin.

I plan on getting this:
http://www.amazon.com/Tekpower-Varia.../dp/B000RO8J98

For projects (audio, motors, etc) and although I still plan to shut it off whenever I touch the wires, or change something, if I accidently "forget", or a dummy "turns it on", is it gonna kill/hurt me?

I treat anything plugged into an outlet as high voltage, even if it says 1-15v. Who knows if the transformer ever goes bad? ZAP!

Also, can someone link me to a site about max safe amperage/voltage ratings that the body can handle?

Last edited by seansy59; 12-02-2011 at 04:39 PM.
seansy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Safe Amps/Volts?

Try it with your tongue, and if you survive, post back.

http://www.dribin.org/dave/blog/arch...amps_vs_volts/
http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin1999-50.html

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
seansy59 (12-02-2011)
Old 12-02-2011, 07:23 PM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Safe Amps/Volts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansy59 View Post

I know its current (amps) that do the damage, but you need voltage to get it through the skin.
This is a long perpetuated myth, with only a slightly related truth.

Yes, the current (amps) flowing through the body does the damage, but the voltage is what gets it there. That said, the circuit amperage has NOTHING to do with it.

Because of the way this myth has been perpetuated I think most people are under the misguided belief that somehow a 50A circuit is more dangerous than a 15A circuit. Or a 400A service is somehow more dangerous than a 100A.
None of this is true at all as far as electrocution goes.

Voltage on the other hand IS more dangerous as you increase. A 277v circuit is definitely more dangerous than a 120v circuit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
mpoulton (12-02-2011), seansy59 (12-02-2011)
Old 12-02-2011, 07:33 PM   #4

Safe Amps/Volts?

There is no real absolute answer for this question,
As the path the electricity takes thru your body is the key
And more importantly the amount of current that flows thru the heart,
So if the electricity enters on your left hand then exits thru your left leg
to ground then there would be very little going thru your heart,
so you would most likely survive.
But if it enters on left hand, travels across chest and exits
thru right hand, like if your touching a grounded object,
then this is much more dangerous.

But I remember one time when i was wet and sweaty and
touched a car battery 12vdc, and I did feel that,
But it did not kill me.

So many variables to consider !
No absolute answer.
But I suspect most healthy people would survive.

Last edited by dmxtothemax; 12-02-2011 at 07:35 PM.
dmxtothemax is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dmxtothemax For This Useful Post:
seansy59 (12-02-2011)
Old 12-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #5

Safe Amps/Volts?

24v with a 60VA rating will sting...120V will tweek you....208/240/460 3 phase will grab you and as said the amperage has nothing to do with it you end up just a resistance as the voltage looks for a bround or another phase to floooooooow
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:39 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Safe Amps/Volts?

Quote:
Is 15v-2a safe even if it was to be touched while energized?

I plan on getting this:
http://www.amazon.com/Tekpower-Varia.../dp/B000RO8J98

For projects (audio, motors, etc) and although I still plan to shut it off whenever I touch the wires, or change something, if I accidently "forget", or a dummy "turns it on", is it gonna kill/hurt me?

I treat anything plugged into an outlet as high voltage, even if it says 1-15v. Who knows if the transformer ever goes bad? ZAP!

Also, can someone link me to a site about max safe amperage/voltage ratings that the body can handle?
Did you read the links that I posted, when you added the last part after my post?
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 12-02-2011, 08:54 PM   #7

Safe Amps/Volts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Did you read the links that I posted, when you added the last part after my post?
Yes I did. I posted it, then when I refreshed the page yours came up. I was 10 seconds late at posting.

Well, sounds like I'll be fine with some common sense and basic precautions that I would take around normal voltage (120v) even though the 15v probably won't do anything if something was really to happen.

Better safe then sorry.

(BTW: I will be running it on a GFCI if that makes and difference, although I don't know if a GFCI will sense a stepped down voltage fault.)
Old 12-02-2011, 09:25 PM   #8
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Safe Amps/Volts?

Quote:
Yes I did. I posted it, then when I refreshed the page yours came up. I was 10 seconds late at posting.

Well, sounds like I'll be fine with some common sense and basic precautions that I would take around normal voltage (120v) even though the 15v probably won't do anything if something was really to happen.

Better safe then sorry.

(BTW: I will be running it on a GFCI if that makes and difference, although I don't know if a GFCI will sense a stepped down voltage fault.)
A GFCI will not sense anything on the output of the power supply. The National Electrical Code considers anything below 50V to be "safe", in that the normal rules for preventing human contact do not apply. 50V can definitely be unpleasant, but is unlikely to cause injury. 24V is usually imperceptible on dry skin, and just tingly or maybe slightly unpleasant on wet skin. 12V is imperceptible except on very wet skin, or your tongue.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mpoulton For This Useful Post:
seansy59 (12-02-2011)
Old 12-02-2011, 10:00 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Safe Amps/Volts?

Quote:

Better safe then sorry.

No you will not be fine. Please do yourself and everyone else a favor, and learn how to disconnect a circuit when working on it, or make someone your beneficiary. It only takes 100mA to stop your heart, regardless of the voltage. A 9vdc cell will kill you.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:34 PM   #10

Safe Amps/Volts?

I often use my tongue to test 9v batteries. When I was a kid, I had some model rockets. I notice the launch controller was 6xAA batts hooked up in series. Being the math prodigy I was back then, I quickly realized that 6x 1.5 volts = 9 volts. I am sure you can see where this is going.... What I learned that day was that even used; 6xAA is much more powerful than the freshest 9v battery

That said; I have touched both electrodes of a car battery multiple times and only got a tingle. It is not even close to the same class as 115v house current. That stings a bit.

Last edited by forresth; 12-02-2011 at 10:40 PM.
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:54 AM   #11

Safe Amps/Volts?

OK. I'm not trying to be annoying or anything, I just want to learnt the best and find the best answer. I'm still looking online too.

So half are saying its safe.
Half are saying it can kill/injure me?

Oh boy.

We are still talking about a small 12-15 volt hobby power supply? Right? The ones used for small projects and "hands on" use?

I still am going to take the precautions of shutting it off when I touch or change something, but if I was "or someone else" was to touch the wires with there fingers, I really don't see how how that can kill/injure. Especially when a car battery carries many more amps and all you feel is a tingle if anything. I also don't think they would have bare contacts right next to each other on this power supply if it can kill/injure.

I understand that the right situation can cause a problem such as super wet skin or the famous "on the tongue" thing that it can go across the heart.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:16 AM   #12
Retired from the grind

Safe Amps/Volts?

seansy59, and yes it is enough to kill you.

forresth, you are lucky that you did not have open cuts on your fingers or tongue.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:46 AM   #13

Safe Amps/Volts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
forresth, you are lucky that you did not have open cuts on your fingers or tongue.
I've seen someone get a mild electrical burn ( 1mm wide discoloration in the skin about 2" long) from a stick welder set up for very thick gauge. Nothing I've done has come even close to that, much less an open wound. I haven't even killed a taste-bud off, battery testing.

I've always heard the most likely effect of repeated electric shocks was sterility, but I've fathered 2 kids in the last few years (at least my wife says I did )

Last edited by forresth; 12-04-2011 at 12:49 AM.
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:47 AM   #14
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Safe Amps/Volts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by forresth View Post
I've seen someone get a mild electrical burn ( 1mm wide discoloration in the skin about 2" long) from a stick welder set up for very thick gauge.
It's worth noting that the open circuit voltage for some stick welders is around 80V. Most are 40-60V. There are virtually no reports of serious electrical injuries from properly functioning arc welders, and the couple reports floating around are rather dubious as to whether the welder was actually functioning properly or not.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:44 AM   #15
Retired from the grind

Safe Amps/Volts?

forresth, has nothing to do with voltage, it is about the amperage that will kill you.

Tags
electric shock amps volts