Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2012, 06:11 PM   #1
A "Handy Husband"

Share |

RV extension cords

I participate in a Pop-up camper discussion group (Popup Portal) and the following was posted reguarding the use of 30 amp extension cords:

"I just returned from Mobile Mart, my go to store for anything for my TT. Was looking for a 25ft extension for my 30 amp power cord. The salesman filled me in on some tips about buying extension cords for service.

1. Never buy a black cord unless you have to have it now or it's the only thing they have. The black cord absorbs and holds heat. We all know what to much heat or amperage draw will do to an extension cord. Cords come in a variety of colors.....orange, blue, yellow, etc. I picked up a yellow one for visibility.

2. When your plugged in and have left over cord DO NOT coil it up on the ground. Spread it out so any and all heat can disipate easier. I usually pull just enough out to reach the box and leave the rest inside the camper. I don't believe he was talking about what is in the camper that but whatever is outside the camper needs to be spread out.

3. If you have to have a lot of line spread out to be able to plug in he suggested some type of covering to shade the cord. I'm pretty sure this would pertain to monthly campers and others that stay in one spot for awhile. Even still a good idea for those of us that are down south here with temps in the triple digits."

I suggested that most (or all) of this is BS.

What say you?

Old 08-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
bbo

RV extension cords

overkill imo.

trip hazard would be something to worry about.

bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
Licensed electrician

RV extension cords

Probably more concern from creating a magnetic coil if left coiled than any heat issue from usage or sun.
Speedy Petey (08-11-2012)
Old 08-11-2012, 07:09 PM   #4

RV extension cords

I've owned at least 7 camping trailers in my life time and not one had anything but a black power cord, and not one ever failed.

What color are the main lines at your home coming in from the pole? I'd bet black.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:59 PM   #5
Idiot Emeritus

RV extension cords

All of those things have some merit, but will become a problem only in EXTREME conditions.

Yes, a white cord will be cooler in the sun than a black one, but this will be an issue only if the cord is seriously overloaded.

True, a coiled cord will run slightly warmer than one laid out, but again, the difference is small.

Shade will make it slightly cooler, but again, no real difference. UV radiation will cause far more damage than heat.

Rob
micromind is online now   Reply With Quote